Pigeon pair decided to be sneaky: HOLY COW I HAVE BABIES NOW! what do I do?

Jack & Frostie at 21 & 22 Days Old. They are out of the Styrofoam Cooler nest box now. I should have cleaned this breeding pen BEFORE I took this photo.

With winter upon us these young birds will only have training toss on single digit frigid days. In about 3 to 5 more weeks.

Jack and Frostie are looking good. All feathered out. I had to laugh when I read their names, I worked with a guy named Jack Frost. He had a lot of fun with a lot of different people with his name.

I never met the guy but there is a fellow around named Rusty Nail apparently.

I honestly think the Styrofoam cooler was the difference in the pair of these squabs making it this far. We had some cold nights with temperatures plummeting below -10F. I think one squab at best would have survived had it not been for the cooler

Last edited:
congrats and they look good, but im sure they would have made it decently, though it probly would have taxed the parents a lot more so you probly did a kind thing in helping them, not to be trying to stuff and build up the nest however they could, as some of mine would pluck undersides raw and bald to try to warm squabs up way back when (milwakee WI. can get -60 farenhight, to -90 ferinhieght with wind chill coming off lake and from you that graciously share your cold winds.. lol ive only personally seen two winters that cold though, and the second one i moved down here! though my fam is originally from canada and still have a lot of relatives up their, but havent been able to visit since i was small boy. here in east TN, its been averaging about 40 degrees farenhight. but frosts at night on and off. the plants are not all even dead yet and my mosquito fish keep feeding breeding and growing in the porch pond. dont hate me! P.S. your nest area looks a lot cleaner than my rabbit cages with how much this new protien pigeon pellet feed, makes mine get poop happy it seems.

with as tough as your northern birds will be, im sure when you can be brought to part with some, theyll be worth every very heavy pretty penny. the cold always seemed to keep them stronger, and naturally cull the weak. we dont have that here..

Last edited:
I usually clean the loft every day. It was just to darn cold that morning and after handling my camera my hands seemed even colder. I should have taken a picture today it is 32F and warm and the loft is clean.

It has been -10F around here not factoring wind chill. However we Canadians are still out on our snowmobiles..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom