Pigeon Questions

Pics
Rest in peace little fish.
Have been wanting to have a betta myself.:D
My suggestion if you get one is don't listen to the pet store or buy anything for them that says "great for betta"... the tanks are too small, they need a heater and you cna't put a heater in a 1 gallon tank... i bought some bulbs that were supposed to be great for betta... they grow over 3 feet tall! Who has a tank that big??

My suggestion if you get one is don't listen to the pet store or buy anything for them that says "great for betta"... the tanks are too small, they need a heater and you cna't put a heater in a 1 gallon tank... i bought some bulbs that were supposed to be great for betta... they grow over 3 feet tall! Who has a tank that big??
I have an older odd shaped tank, long and narrow, about 7 gallons I believe. I would like to plant live plants in there for a 'natural' habitat. Bettas are so interesting.:D

Well, baby is growing up. No longer squeaking much at all, every now and then if I grab him he'll squeak, but mostly doing what I assume is growling followed by a muffled cooing sound. He's also getting the white at the base of his little beak and starting to get some pretty green and purple feathers on his neck. I need to get him out and get another photo of him showing the pretty feathers and less dorky looking beak (still not fully filled in white, but getting there).

I also now have him on about 3 inches of sweet PDZ in his cage, so I just scoop the poop with a kitty litter scoop once or twice a day and it stays a lot cleaner, no more poopy feathers or feet. I also found a strangely shaped branch that's about an inch and a half diameter and put that in there for a perch and he seems to like that. One thing I'm doing differently as well is I am not giving him any dishes other than his water dish, the grit and food I am just putting down directly on the PDZ in one of the corners. PDZ is safe for them to eat and even use as grit some, so if he eats some it's not a problem. I'm giving him a mix of chick grit from TSC and the small bird grit from the pet store (the small bird grit has oyster shell mixed in and anise, so I use some of it along with the chick grit). It looks like a bird exploded in there, he's apparently going through a molt. He doesn't LOOK like he's losing feathers but they are certainly all over the place...

Also, he can now flutter up about a foot. Still not enough that I think he will be releasable, but enough that I have had to chase him around the room a few times because he got out of his cage and took off... Luckily once he gets on the floor he just runs and doesn't try to fly again...

Well, I took Felix outside yesterday since it was nice and got to get some "pretty bird" photos of him. He's getting BIG

0121181608.jpg

Back
Top Bottom