Pigeon Questions

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Iowa Roo Mom, May 18, 2009.

1. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I'm thinking about getting a couple of pigeons and was wondering what breed would be best? Do I need anything special, like a brooder box for babies or can I get adults? Can I feed them birdfood or cracked corn? What do I need for them if I get them? Any help would be appreciated! THANKS! [​IMG]

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Get a mated pair, they with raise their own babies. NO CRACK CORN, but pigeon food or even chicken feed.

If you want ones just for looks ,lots of breeds.
    If you want them to fly around, roller or homer are great for first time breeders.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    do your research.. there are plenty of pigeon types...

1 colour
    2 structure
    3 flyer [​IMG]

... and combination of all the above...

4. Keith C.

Keith C. Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    Dayton, Ohio.
    Most pigeons are easy to raise.
    Homing pigeons and Birmingham rollers are probably the easiest and are my personal favorites.
    As long as you stay away from the breeds with extemely small beaks like some of the owls and tumblers, most pigeons are capable of raising their own young and are pretty prolific.
    You can see a lot of diffent breeds, colors and patterns of pigeons on my website:
    http://freewebs.com/kjcii/
    Keith

5. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I'll add on to the feeding aspect. Wild bird seed is best if you can't find some kind of pigeon mix feed. It'll give them the best variety [​IMG] They like having different things to choose from in their feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by