Pigeon Talk

Nugget is becoming VERY adventurous. Too much for my comfort. Today I was just walking around with him perched on my hand when he just- flew. At random, just suddenly in the air. He *attempted* to land on the car, failed, and landed on a tree stump. I quickly caught him after that and put him away. I’m not too worried about him flying, I just don’t want him getting hurt.

Too much for my comfort. Today I was just walking around with him perched on my hand when he just- flew. At random, just suddenly in the air. He *attempted* to land on the car, failed, and landed on a tree stump. I quickly caught him after that and put him away. I’m not too worried about him flying, I just don’t want him getting hurt.
that's going to happen naturally. you can't expect him to just sit in your hand, when he sees freedom! if you are taking him somewhere, you will have to hold him. I sadly lost a friendly rolling pigeon because he was sitting in my hand and took iff. He sadly got nailed in the air by a hawk. :( so be careful, I wouldn't want nugget getting hurt!
My two are younger than yours and they're confident flying almost straight up and down to a 6 foot high perch. :) they make many sloppy landings at first but that's how they learn
I had one do a full somersault after coming in for a hard landing during a free flight. I think it was it's second or third time out. :lol:

:lol: Don't make me guess, just show me the pics!! Its getting late for me, can you answer this thread?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/thinking-of-keeping-homing-pigeons.1390947/
Already did!

I got one bad pic, will get more in better light. they are yellow tiger grizzles. Young ones, haven't molted into their full colors yet, but are ready to breed! SOO excited! I've wanted black tiger grizzled forever, but yellow ones??? Never heard of such until Tuesday when it all came together.

Oops. Here the pic: he's my male.
IMG_20200625_194702.jpg
IMG_20200625_194654.jpg

that's going to happen naturally. you can't expect him to just sit in your hand, when he sees freedom! if you are taking him somewhere, you will have to hold him. I sadly lost a friendly rolling pigeon because he was sitting in my hand and took iff. He sadly got nailed in the air by a hawk. :( so be careful, I wouldn't want nugget getting hurt!

I had one do a full somersault after coming in for a hard landing during a free flight. I think it was it's second or third time out. :lol:
I’m thinking of buying a bird harness for him because I’d like to start bringing him places with me.

Sorry about your roller! I’m happy there’s a bunch of ravens and cries around to keep the hawks at bay! We used to have a problem with my bantams being taken by this big hawk that used to come around.

Back
Top Bottom