Pigeon Talk

Today was quite the day. A neighborhood about two miles from now had a pigeon hanging around, a beautiful red with white flights. It has bands, so I knew it was a domestic one. Well, some of our friends contacted me to see if it was mine. It isnt, but I told them I would catch it and locate the owner if I could. So, I went out there with 4 old birds to try to attract the bird down, but if I couldnt, I would toss them in hopes of them bringing it home. Well, I went out, didn't see it. I finally saw it fly out of a fenced in yard, up into the tree. So I put the cage out and after a few minutes, nothing. I then tossed the birds and it took off with them! It flew with them while they got their bearings, but landed again. This time in the ground! I went slowly with a net, and caught it. It is a 2020 race bird from near Huntsville AL, about 80 miles south of me. I contacted the club Secretary and waiting for a response. I'm hoping he knows who's bird it is. As of know, it's in our garage with food and water with electrolytes. It is dehydrated, and malnourished, but I'm fixing that problem. It was obviously fed a grain mixture without corn, as it won't touch corn or pellets. Hopefully I can find the owner and work out details. Though,,,, I wouldn't mind to call it mine. :) View attachment 2244272View attachment 2244273

:highfive: Super impressive pigeoneering skills you have BP. I hope you get to keep it. Gorgeous bird, if only its a hen! :fl

Great story and i'm interested to learn what happens.:)

My wondering questions are; Is this bird just lost during a recent race, like 2 or 3 days ago???? or was race sometime ago, and pigeon has been out in the wild for some time. :idunno
idk. Maybe a toss... Because it doesn't have the scanner on so that it can be clocked in a race... It was in the neighborhood 24 hours before I got over there. And I would guess just in its weight and thirst that it has been out 4 days. that would make someone tossed them on a Saturday.
80 miles is not all that far for a fancier to come and pick up his pigeon.
yeah. And it's right along an interstate, so its only an hour and a half drive. It can also be justified through dropping pigeons.
Fancier may ask that you just release him, when he regains some strength.
if fancier does, I will. But I hope fancier doesnt. I think it is settled to that neighborhood... It left my group just to come back down to the ground, near its favorite house. So I think it likes it for some reason.
if only its a hen! :fl
Maybe! I think it is, but,,, I want a male. :oops: I have a beautiful unmated red hen right now. We will see! I actually have a shortage of males right now... That's a good problem though!

bp

Fancier may ask that you just release him, when he regains some strength.
if fancier does, I will. But I hope fancier doesnt. I think it is settled to that neighborhood... It left my group just to come back down to the ground, near its favorite house. So I think it likes it for some reason.

If you do that route, of releasing him, I would scope the direction of his flight. (not always the telling point of final destination), Then stop by the neighborhood where you found him, and see if he went there instead. Or be in contact with your friends in the neighborhood that informed you of him in first place. Catching him second time when well fed and strong may get trickier. :idunno
You mention that no racing chip on leg. That means 2 possibilities. A more distant toss, and pigeon flew wrong direction. Or like in Qwerty's case, pigeons scattered on a loft flight, or short toss, caused by a possible raptor

Hi all, not sure if you remember me but I had found a pigeon walking down my road. I was looking for the original pictures.
I kept if for awhile and tried to find it owner.

my friend took it and gave it a home. She works at lowes. they have quite a pigeon problem inside the building. One day the exterminators were clearing out the pigeons and she found a young female hiding. She took it home and put it with the male I had given her. They have hatched their first baby. Thought someone on here might be interested in what happened to him.

Hi all, not sure if you remember me but I had found a pigeon walking down my road. I was looking for the original pictures.

my friend took it and gave it a home. She works at lowes. they have quite a pigeon problem inside the building. One day the exterminators were clearing out the pigeons and she found a young female hiding. She took it home and put it with the male I had given her. They have hatched their first baby. Thought someone on here might be interested in what happened to him.
:love Wow, that is good news! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's interested.

I have a new shelf setup!
F254F48F-1F7E-44B9-93E7-009FC8947495.jpeg
E39CCA29-21CE-4DF6-B944-DD9086A7D003.jpeg
A5B1C743-D1A0-4A12-A6AE-FCA9D256E744.jpeg
for some reason Nugget likes to hang out squished on top of one of the nest boxes. He’s gotten a little aggressive with me, lunging and biting at my fingers if I get too close.
C20FB30B-76F9-4EE3-A360-6C01F79447B6.jpeg
Lime
591404F7-8DBE-43CB-8172-BD689F735922.jpeg
F753EE81-25CE-4914-AC69-8975E65057B2.jpeg

Attachments

• 4A457A4F-4791-4F92-BDC3-54BD9920250B.jpeg
    4A457A4F-4791-4F92-BDC3-54BD9920250B.jpeg
    531.8 KB · Views: 0

I remember you! It was a fantail, right? Feel free to hang out with us, pigeon or not!

I'm glad it found a home, and has a family! Thanks for sharing.
for some reason Nugget likes to hang out squished on top of one of the nest boxes. He’s gotten a little aggressive with me, lunging and biting at my fingers if I get too close.
He probably likes it because his parents can't bother him there. They were getting aggressive with him, right?

Back
Top Bottom