Pigeon Talk

Okay great! will do, Iv got a bit more research to do, but im leaning towards a mix of corn, wheat, millet, safflower, and I’m looking for a source of peas
You could grow them! I think they are a cool season crop, so plant for a fall harvest. Though that would be slot of hulling to get the peas.

Honestly, I'm not convinced peas are good. The U.S. has a lot to learn about keeping pigeons... Europe knows it's stuff, and 90% of their mixes don't have peas. So, if you don't find peas, that's okay. Try it without!

What if you did something like 20% feed wheat, 10% red wheat, 15% millet, 15% milo (grain sorghum), 10% corn, 10% safflower, 10% different, (peanuts, peas, buckwheat, oat groats, etc according to the season.
Thankyou for the replies!I never thought about growing them, not a bad idea if I don’t find another option I like. I was going to do peas as it is currently the protein in the feed that i use now and i was worried about the fat in peanuts and i use them as treats so I’m not sure if i would want to swap those out. I know safflower is high in fat also but still doing my research. In reality I’m just trying to cut food cost, I don’t have a ton of birds now but currently I’m paying like $37 a bag for feed which is higher than i would like. The only type of pea I can find is a cover crop, so it’s a no go on peas unless i order online. Also no where around me carries milo but I was able to source millet, wheat, and corn. Hoping they will also carry safflower
Edit. Ended up finding safflower on tractor supply website so can pick it up there if needed. Also might add in some black oil sunflower seeds and seeing if I can find buckwheat also.

Last edited:
Thankyou for the replies!I never thought about growing them, not a bad idea if I don’t find another option I like. I was going to do peas as it is currently the protein in the feed that i use now and i was worried about the fat in peanuts and i use them as treats so I’m not sure if i would want to swap those out. I know safflower is high in fat also but still doing my research. In reality I’m just trying to cut food cost, I don’t have a ton of birds now but currently I’m paying like $37 a bag for feed which is higher than i would like. The only type of pea I can find is a cover crop, so it’s a no go on peas unless i order online. Also no where around me carries milo but I was able to source millet, wheat, and corn. Hoping they will also carry safflower
I think $37 is high too. The 50# bags I buy recently went up to $23. Have you tried googling 'pigeon feed + your county'? Thats how I found a supplier. I bought my first bag from them(Delco) directly. Then I noticed that Delco supplied the wild bird seed sold at my local pet food warehouse and I asked them to order it special for me. After receiving a few more customer requests, they now stock pigeon mix. I could try to find a supplier near you if I knew your county or what larger town is near you. So if you like making your own - Go for it! I like the convenience of ready mixed. Safflower is available everywhere - I get mine at the Ace Hardware in their wild bird seed dept. For peas, i really like the maple peas. They are a pretty brown and about half the size of canadian peas but might be harder to find.

Is she at all friendly?
no, not friendly, but trusting. She just started to eat in front of me, which is exciting. She also 'discovered' how good corn is, and she now has a new favorite food!
Has she been introduced to the rest of the flock?
no, not yet. She looks healthy, but even if it's healthy, my birds may not be immune to something is has but is immune to... So to play it safe, she will be in quarantine for a week. Maybe more. She is going to be SHOCKED to see more pigeons!
I know safflower is high in fat also but still doing my research.
as well as corn. You do want to watch the fat, so 10% safflower may be to much.
In reality I’m just trying to cut food cost, I don’t have a ton of birds now but currently I’m paying like $37 a bag for feed which is higher than i would like.
yikes! I pay 30, and I hate it....

can we have the ingredients, and how much fat, protein etc. you could make your feed to farther by mixing in more wheat, millet, etc. So often they mixed to way to many peas, and way to little wheat. As you can tell, I love feeding wheat!

Trusting. Guess she's sort of used to people. Post more pics when you get a chsnce
Ask and you shall receive!

IMG_20200717_082253.jpg
IMG_20200717_082246.jpg
IMG_20200717_082228.jpg
IMG_20200717_082318.jpg
IMG_20200717_082231.jpg

I think $37 is high too. The 50# bags I buy recently went up to $23. Have you tried googling 'pigeon feed + your county'? Thats how I found a supplier. I bought my first bag from them(Delco) directly. Then I noticed that Delco supplied the wild bird seed sold at my local pet food warehouse and I asked them to order it special for me. After receiving a few more customer requests, they now stock pigeon mix. I could try to find a supplier near you if I knew your county or what larger town is near you. So if you like making your own - Go for it! I like the convenience of ready mixed. Safflower is available everywhere - I get mine at the Ace Hardware in their wild bird seed dept. For peas, i really like the maple peas. They are a pretty brown and about half the size of canadian peas but might be harder to find.
I’m buying browns pigeon feed at the moment and it is the only feed that I can find locally other than a pellet feed that tractor supply sells. I called 4 feed shops within an hr drive and nobody carried peas so I gave up other than online. If I could find feed for around the $20 premise would be my go to, but at 37 I’d rather mix.

no, not friendly, but trusting. She just started to eat in front of me, which is exciting. She also 'discovered' how good corn is, and she now has a new favorite food!
no, not yet. She looks healthy, but even if it's healthy, my birds may not be immune to something is has but is immune to... So to play it safe, she will be in quarantine for a week. Maybe more. She is going to be SHOCKED to see more pigeons!
as well as corn. You do want to watch the fat, so 10% safflower may be to much.
yikes! I pay 30, and I hate it....

can we have the ingredients, and how much fat, protein etc. you could make your feed to farther by mixing in more wheat, millet, etc. So often they mixed to way to many peas, and way to little wheat. As you can tell, I love feeding wheat!
I attached a pic of my feed label, and was going to try and go off of that but the online search’s I found said millet over milo as millet is better digested and isn’t as much a filler, which is fine as I can’t find it anyways but also said rice is a filler. So at that price point I don’t want to be buying fillers. I do think I need mire protein tho as I feel like they need to put on a little weight

Attachments

• 95009344-411C-403D-9D55-B895E82C6A6F.jpeg
    95009344-411C-403D-9D55-B895E82C6A6F.jpeg
    519.2 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom