Pigeon Talk

You said they are drinking on their own? If so,and their cerelac has water too they should be ok.
How are they doing today? Do they seem dehydrated?
They are drinking on there own, it’s just that today they drank less water then the amount of water they drank on the first day of hand feeding. That’s why I am worried.
they are looking a little bit better today.
how to tell they are dehydrated or not?

Last edited:
They are drinking on there own, it’s just that today they drank less water then the amount of water they drank on the first day of hand feeding. That’s why I am worried.
they are looking a little bit better today.
how to tell they are dehydrated or not?

I think that sounds logical. On day one of hand feeding they were probably dehydrated because they had not been fed. So they drank more. Now they are getting water as part of the cerelac and the moisture in the cooked chick peas. So now they need less extra water.

For example,when I feed thawed peas they get all the hydration they need from the moisture in the peas.

Simply put- if they are drinking they know what they need.

I'm so glad they seem better!

I think that sounds logical. On day one of hand feeding they were probably dehydrated because they had not been fed. So they drank more. Now they are getting water as part of the cerelac and the moisture in the cooked chick peas. So now they need less extra water.

For example,when I feed thawed peas they get all the hydration they need from the moisture in the peas.

Simply put- if they are drinking they know what they need.

I'm so glad they seem better!
Ok thanks a lot

FWIW IMO. I have looked at your video several times and I am not seeing the twisted neck symptom that you mentioned. I do see they are weak. That could be due to dehydration and lack of food. If so, they should quickly recover with hand feeding.
Please update us.

The neck twisting has lessened. Their necks are twisting a little bit in the original video but not a lot. Their necks twist more when they move. I think they are just weak.
This is an update on the pigeons I recorded today

A fancier has told me to give my pigeon babies 13 no layer feed to make them stronger. What do you guys think?
I'm not sure what that is. Here in US layer feed is in pellet form and pigeons can benefit from eating it because it has added calcium and other nutrients. For hand feeding young babies I made a formula by grinding up layer pellets in water. It worked very well. Your birds will soon be eating on their own.

Probably the pigeon fancier in your country is giving you good advice.

I'm not sure what that is. Here in US layer feed is in pellet form and pigeons can benefit from eating it because it has added calcium and other nutrients. For hand feeding young babies I made a formula by grinding up layer pellets in water. It worked very well. Your birds will soon be eating on their own.

Agreed! Also I've noticed the pellets are easier for them to handle with their beaks when they start eating on their own, though they learn quick to handle foods of different size and shape.

My pigeons never ate any of the Alflock pellets that I offered them. Maybe because they were spoiled with great tasting seeds they had always. :old :idunno I suppose that if that is all that I would have for them,,,, they would wolf that down with no question.
I know that the chicken pellets are good balanced nutrition. :thumbsupHokum Coco feeds his pigeons chicken pellets. (I know this from reading his posts)

My pigeons never ate any of the Alflock pellets that I offered them. Maybe because they were spoiled with great tasting seeds they had always. :old :idunno I suppose that if that is all that I would have for them,,,, they would wolf that down with no question.
I know that the chicken pellets are good balanced nutrition. :thumbsupHokum Coco feeds his pigeons chicken pellets. (I know this from reading his posts)
Agreed! Also I've noticed the pellets are easier for them to handle with their beaks when they start eating on their own, though they learn quick to handle foods of different size and shape.

Thanks a lot everyone I will start feeding them layer crumb feed from tomorrow. Baby Pigeons are doing a lot better, they have gotten a lot more active and stronger. Tomorrow I will upload an video on them.

Back
Top Bottom