Pigeon Talk

I am inclined to agree. In addition they will continually poop in the tray.

Just a tip I find putting the hole 1" from the cover for the waterer serves me better as it makes handling the reservoir that much easier. It also gives extra space for the pigeon to insert their heads into the base. One draw back to this approach is they tend to perch on the water with the flat bottom if space allows which in my case it does not. Birds perching on the water could cause it to be toppled over.

I would also recommend a nest bowl similar to this. I picked these up at the Dollar Store.

View attachment 1690638

The new waterer is located under the nesting boxes so no one is ever over it. I'll have to see if they have trouble drinking though. So far they seem ok but what do I know. I'll have to look for bowls as well but they don't seem interested in them at all.

Very egg-citing! Just to let you know, that new waterer probably won't work. Pigeons slurp up water like a horse in a way, so the water needs to be 1 inch deep. They likely will be able to get a little water from it, but not like they could with a bowl of something. Also, that eggs seems really small, how big is it? Quarter size? Or less? And sometimes the first batch of eggs are infertile, so you may want to candle the eggs in day 7 or so to see if they are developing. And that is funny how they choose the smaller box. Keep us updated!

I would guess the egg is about the size of a quail egg. I'm not sure if that's small or not. We'll be sure to candle it (and any others) in about a week.

Love the names! Ethel & Fred, Lucy & Ricky. :clap. Looking good!

In my limited experience, it is sometimes an extra day between the 2 eggs, so don’t be surprised if you don’t see one right away. From what everyone told me, it’s perfectly normal for them to skip a day between laying.

I ordered both these types of waterers from Foys. While it’s probably just as easy to make them, these were inexpensive enough that I went ahead and ordered them. I prefer the blue dome type, they seem fine with either. The green one can be inserted from outside though, and roped to the outside of the cage, so that’s nice to keep them out of the way and not have to open the gate to replace. I also ordered the little cage cups for smaller areas. I used a chicken drinker until these came in and they did ok, but I’d suggest at least elevating it onto a platform so the bedding and crap stays out of it. Lots of viable options suggested, just thought I’d toss these out to you too. :)
View attachment 1690708 View attachment 1690709

I appreciate the tips. I was going to try and make some but we were at the feed store and it was like 5 bucks. I might make a small platform. So far it's stayed fairly clean. We just spill out the water a few times a day and let it fill back up so that's nice. My youngest two kids are homeschooled so they check on the birds all day long.

Yes, I didn't say they COULDN'T, I said it's better to have one inch or more. But it's kinda like this, pigeons prefer flat perches, but they can live with round ones. It is possible for them to drink out of water shallower than one inch, but I think we would all agree that one inch is best. And don't we all want what's best for our birds? And also like you said, olives beak allows for her to drink in shallower water. So because of having homers, I would recommend for slorider to get a waterer with more depth.
I'm just saying... The one inch thing is silly. They drink just fine with less. Its not a husbandry issue to have shallower waterers. Its not any harder to drink from a shallower dish. And the waterer shown which kicked off the tangent looked fine.

Back
Top Bottom