Pigeon Talk

I have a shelf in the coop here:
image.jpg

Two bricks make kind of a cubby. One brick holds the bowl in place. Iā€™m using a collapsible bowl for the nest. I thought maybe the bowl came loose and when a pigeon was stepping in, it tipped?
image.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. If the bowl was on the floor it definitely got tipped off. Since you only have the two its unlikely they were fighting or anything and it may have tipped when one tried to step into empty bowl. I guess its good it happened now versus later on in incubation so you can fix their nest setup earlier :)
Do you have a milk crate or something? I use a bowl of that shape (dog bowl) but it doesn't tip because its quite heavy and very hard rubber. Nest bowls made specifically for pigeons will have a wider bottom than top to prevent tipping.
1587935957805.png

This is what I have currently. If they weren't sitting on fakes I'd also fill the bottom with straw in case a squab fell out so that it wouldn't fall through the crate. If you have a crate or box or something I encourage you to try using something like that, especially if it has a barrier on the front. Maybe try just nailing the bowl right down to the board? The main problem seems to be the bowl itself. If you don't want to ruin that bowl by putting a nail through it, try getting a cheap dog bowl from the dollar store and melting/gently poking a hole through it then nailing it down.
1587936125528.png

I love Mo Willems! I read all his pigeon books.
Nest bowls made specifically for pigeons will have a wider bottom than top to prevent tipping.
that is very important

Sorry about your eggs @KiwiandPeachthePigeons . They are still learning. But either screw in a bowl, or do one with a wider bottom than top. I think the eggs got launched out of the bowl when they stepped on the edge. don't feel bad. Pigeon keeping is a challenging thing to learn, it takes alot of trial and error. Learn from your mistakes, and keep trucking along!

Back
Top Bottom