Pigeon Talk

I usually do not reply to myself publicly:gig But when I offer suggestions, I also like to offer options:idunno
that's not a bad idea! I might just have to try this... ;)
I got quite the surprise today. I noticed that Bonnie/Clyde had 1 egg a couple weeks ago. Never added the second, but that was ok. Yesterday when she came out to feed, i checked to see if it had hatched yet, and it was pipped! So I quickly closed the lid on the nest box. Today when I went to check, I was surprised by this: :lau
View attachment 2104366View attachment 2104368

Not a squab... a Porcelain d’Uccle chick!

The most surprising part is I don’t know how she got the egg in there! The d’Uccles are 2 pens away, and the egg would have to have been rolled thru 3 panels of chicken wire.... 2 layers to get out of the d’Uccle pen, across what was my cream legbar pen when the egg would have been moved (open gate, currently being used by ducks and yard roosters now), and thru another fence into the pigeon pen. Across the pigeon pen, up the ramp, and around up into the nest box.
View attachment 2104369
View attachment 2104370

I can’t believe that i didn’t notice the color/size of the egg, but I hadn’t bothered her throughout incubation, so other than a couple night time checks to make sure she was on the egg, I didn’t pay much attention.
The d’Uccle eggs are a tad bigger and have a light tint.

Good news is that i just hatched 6 d’Uccle inside, so the new one has friends the same age. Bad news is that Bonnie will have to start over. I would have let her keep it longer, but with their differences in feeding, I figured I was better off to just take the chick.
Oh my word!

That's crazy. Do you have a Wize cam in your loft? I thought I remembered you do? If so, go back however long it takes duccle eggs to hatch. And skim around. I have had my hens 'storing' an egg in their wing. The parents could have picked until if it was left behind by you, and walked it to their box. But that seems VERY far fatched! Either way, thanks for sharing!

I
No baby as of early this afternoon. Not too worried yet. Today would have been day 18 for the first egg laid and day 16 for the second. I don't know if it's the second egg or the first egg that was fertile.
It would be the second. One mating will fertilize both eggs. :fl

Edit: oh, but with the baytril I am not sure... :hmm

Last edited:
The most surprising part is I don’t know how she got the egg in there! The d’Uccles are 2 pens away, and the egg would have to have been rolled thru 3 panels of chicken wire.... 2 layers to get out of the d’Uccle pen, across what was my cream legbar pen when the egg would have been moved (open gate, currently being used by ducks and yard roosters now), and thru another fence into the pigeon pen. Across the pigeon pen, up the ramp, and around up into the nest box.
1587696946958.png

Sherlock;;;; Watson, do you have any IDEAS???

Dr, Watson;;;; I think we should interrogate WV's DH... All this seems to coincide with April 1 date :old

that's not a bad idea! I might just have to try this... ;)

Oh my word!

That's crazy. Do you have a Wize cam in your loft? I thought I remembered you do? If so, go back however long it takes duccle eggs to hatch. And skim around. I have had my hens 'storing' an egg in their wing. The parents could have picked until if it was left behind by you, and walked it to their box. But that seems VERY far fatched! Either way, thanks for sharing!

I do have the cams, but the one in there is pointed out toward the duck pen now. I think the one covering the yard is too far away to make out that much detail. But now you have my curiosity, so I’ll do some reviewing tomorrow.... Replay may not extend back enough days though. I didn’t even notice she had the egg until April 9th.

*Edit - only holds about 3.5 days worth of replay. :(

View attachment 2105093
Sherlock;;;; Watson, do you have any IDEAS???

Dr, Watson;;;; I think we should interrogate WV's DH... All this seems to coincide with April 1 date :old

Interesting theory! :gig

Last edited:
I got quite the surprise today. I noticed that Bonnie/Clyde had 1 egg a couple weeks ago. Never added the second, but that was ok. Yesterday when she came out to feed, i checked to see if it had hatched yet, and it was pipped! So I quickly closed the lid on the nest box. Today when I went to check, I was surprised by this: :lau
View attachment 2104366View attachment 2104368

Not a squab... a Porcelain d’Uccle chick!

View attachment 2104369
View attachment 2104370

I can’t believe that i didn’t notice the color/size of the egg, but I hadn’t bothered her throughout incubation, so other than a couple night time checks to make sure she was on the egg, I didn’t pay much attention.
The d’Uccle eggs are a tad bigger and have a light tint.

Good news is that i just hatched 6 d’Uccle inside, so the new one has friends the same age. Bad news is that Bonnie will have to start over. I would have let her keep it longer, but with their differences in feeding, I figured I was better off to just take the chick.
That's pretty amazing! I wonder what bonnie and Clyde must have thought having this little one hatch out and start moving around! Good job you found it soon enough.

Finally! I have been waiting, like forever, to see a baby NN! Fingers crossed the little one thrives. :fl

I have my fingers crossed too!

I'm debating pulling it from the parents when it's older to finish handfeeding it so that it's friendly. The parents are pretty skittish and I'd like the baby to not be that way.

Back
Top Bottom