Pigeon Talk

Hi everyone, was hoping i would be able to get some advice on a sick pigeon. My neighbour was cleaning out his outbuilding where a few pigeons live and he found one that couldnt fly properly. I told him to bring it to me as i couldnt leave the poor thing. It is very lethargic and not putting up a fight being handled. He looks young, probably only a month old. First thing i noticed was his eyes, one looks okay but the other he is not opening. He managed to open it a little and it looks watery but he hasnt opened it again. Although the other eye looks fine and he is able to open it, he is mostly just sitting with his head down sleeping. I have checked his mouth and no signs of canker. I also noticed he has some sort of bugs all over him, not quite sure what they are maybe some sort of lice or mite. I was going to put a spot on medicine on but it mentioned not to put it on sick birds. We have been slowly picking them off. I dont know how else to help him! Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
He does look in a poor state. I know with chickens closed watery eyes are normally a sign of some respiratory ailment. I'm not sure if this is the case with pigeons. Personally I'd be tempted to put it on a course of harkers 4in1. It treats for the more common problems they can get. Canker, worms, external parasites and coccidiosis. Have you seen any blood in its poop? That's normally a sure sign of cocci.

Yes hes had a rough start :( i saw that online i guess its worth a shot. No blood however it is very watery no solid at all. I dont think it has eaten for a while
I'd go with cocci. Harkers also do something called coxiod which is neat amprolium. You mix it with drinking water but you can also give it neat and direct to the bird. I've used it for chicks before and it worked. It's great stuff.

Yes hes had a rough start :( i saw that online i guess its worth a shot. No blood however it is very watery no solid at all. I dont think it has eaten for a while
I know you will do your best but I am worried as the one I lost also came to have one eye closed toward the end. Even if there is no canker visible in the mouth it may be present in the crop or esophagus - the bird won't eat and loses weight. I did try the Avio Meds 4 in 1, but it was too late. It could possibly be a virus too. I will hope for the best.:hugs

I cant get anything here till friday so i am considering finding a vet and trying that because i doubt he will make it to friday.
Have you tried force feeding thawed peas? Mine refused most strenuously. If yours will take them, that will sustain and hydrate and give him a chance. I may be too pessimistic, but I doubt a general practice vet can do much for him.

Back
Top Bottom