Pigeon Talk

So I have a question regarding my two rescue kids. They are doing very well and enjoy the time I let them out of the crate to fly. I’m almost for sure the one that got injured is male. The other one I’m not so sure about and that’s why I’ve come here. It’s always been quieter and more trusting which I initially played off as it being younger and the fact I wasn’t “hurting” it like I did when taking care of the other bird’s wounds. But now I’m not so sure.. I catch it gently pecking the “male” birds beak/face feathers which seemed a little like courting behaviours from what I’ve seen with other pigeons but I’ve never seen or heard the “male” pigeon strut/coo as if it’s courting. It’s only made the deeper noises when trying to peck my hands, although that's becoming less and less as I’ve started hand feeding them to gain a little trust.

At one point I thought the “male” bird was creating a nest and trying to call the other in it when I had the cat carrier with shavings inside the crate but that got moved out a while back. I didn’t even think to put another nest like structure in there since I figured they were still too young to lay if they were even going to..

Should I be worried about them possibly being opposite genders and potentially mating? I think they are siblings... :oops:

So I have a question regarding my two rescue kids. They are doing very well and enjoy the time I let them out of the crate to fly. I’m almost for sure the one that got injured is male. The other one I’m not so sure about and that’s why I’ve come here. It’s always been quieter and more trusting which I initially played off as it being younger and the fact I wasn’t “hurting” it like I did when taking care of the other bird’s wounds. But now I’m not so sure.. I catch it gently pecking the “male” birds beak/face feathers which seemed a little like courting behaviours from what I’ve seen with other pigeons but I’ve never seen or heard the “male” pigeon strut/coo as if it’s courting. It’s only made the deeper noises when trying to peck my hands, although that's becoming less and less as I’ve started hand feeding them to gain a little trust.

At one point I thought the “male” bird was creating a nest and trying to call the other in it when I had the cat carrier with shavings inside the crate but that got moved out a while back. I didn’t even think to put another nest like structure in there since I figured they were still too young to lay if they were even going to..

Should I be worried about them possibly being opposite genders and potentially mating? I think they are siblings... :oops:
It does sound like you might have a pair, but I can't tell you for sure by just reading what they do. I think they are still to young to mate up. Probably another 3 months. Are they still squeaking? I don't like to breed sibling to sibling, but with ferals, it won't be a problem (because they have a lot of variety in their genes cause they are basically mutt pigeons from lost domestic pigeons) so it really depends if you want more pigeons, and if you are okay to breed sibling to sibling.

here's my new white racers. Two pairs.
IMG_20191211_153324.jpg
IMG_20191211_152952.jpg
IMG_20191211_153317.jpg
IMG_20191211_153004.jpg
IMG_20191211_153305.jpg

Back
Top Bottom