Pigeon Talk

Another dumb question regarding feed. After doing some reading it appears that peas,corn, wheat, and oats are the go to for feed. Is there anything special about bag feed? I work with field plots for my job, and we actually grow all of these. I'm thinking that I may be able to put together my own feed mix. Would that be right?
that isn't a dumb question!

I would feed something like this. 40% wheat, 15% peas, 15% corn, 10% milo, 10% millet, 10% safflower. Oat groats are okay, but I don't think they are necessary.
Update: I called the wildlife center and they said the grackle passed a few hours after I had dropped it off. Seems that it had died of a head injury as well as being starved. The volunteers and staff there are top notch and had given him meds but he wasn't strong enough unfortunately. I did all I could but I still feel really upset about it. I guess I just need to mope about it for a little bit before moving on with my day haha.
I'm sorry. about the pigeon and the grackle. :( you did the best you could do for the grackle, so don't feel bad.

I saw something interesting today... Both of my Portuguese Tumbler squabs are one day old. And both of them have been opening their eyes just a bit. this isn't normal, does anyone know what going on? Also, I think one if them is albino! It has very little fuzz compared to the other bird. (Very little fuzz is a sign of a pure white bird, or one with no pigmentation). It also peeked open its eyes, and I believe it is pink... does anyone know if there are any healthy problems related to albino pigeons? Do they have weak eyesight?

I'm a other note, today I was updating the generous gentleman who have me some of his birds in KY when I went to the Louisville pigeon show. I showed him my two birds that his birds produced for me. the father is a Indigo spread, the hen is a jet black. He said both the babies were chocolates? I didn't think chocolates looked like these? What do y'all think?

A quick Google search show like 10 different colors, so I'm not sure...

IMG_20200527_170410.jpg
IMG_20200527_170601.jpg
IMG_20200527_170556.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_170630.jpg
    IMG_20200527_170630.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200527_170123.jpg
    IMG_20200527_170123.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
I saw something interesting today... Both of my Portuguese Tumbler squabs are one day old. And both of them have been opening their eyes just a bit. this isn't normal, does anyone know what going on? Also, I think one if them is albino! It has very little fuzz compared to the other bird. (Very little fuzz is a sign of a pure white bird, or one with no pigmentation). It also peeked open its eyes, and I believe it is pink... does anyone know if there are any healthy problems related to albino pigeons? Do they have weak eyesight?

I'm a other note, today I was updating the generous gentleman who have me some of his birds in KY when I went to the Louisville pigeon show. I showed him my two birds that his birds produced for me. the father is a Indigo spread, the hen is a jet black. He said both the babies were chocolates? I didn't think chocolates looked like these? What do y'all think?

A quick Google search show like 10 different colors, so I'm not sure...

View attachment 2172399View attachment 2172400View attachment 2172401
Short down shows itself in dilutes, extreme dilutes (these basically look completely naked), almonds, albinos, and I think possibly faded. What color are the parents? I'm guessing that it's either a dilute, or almond sooner than an albino. The pink showing itself is not uncommon in dilute birds when they are young like that in the nest. Nothing to be alarmed about (it only shows when they are very very young).
As far as the "chocolates"... chocolate is just one of the terms that people use to call indigos. Indigo varies a lot in appearance. Some of them are quite dark, and some are quite light. Some of them can also be a near perfect mimic of ash red... the difference being they have darker heads and beaks and typically the tails and flight feathers are darker. Plus the indigo males also wont have the black flecking if it's mated with a blue. Spread indigo does not produce chocolates... spread indigo is commonly called andalusian. And indigo does not produce sex linked matings. It's only if you combine other sex linked genes that would make something sex linked, but not the indigo itself.

Short down shows itself in dilutes, extreme dilutes (these basically look completely naked), almonds, albinos, and I think possibly faded. What color are the parents? I'm guessing that it's either a dilute, or almond sooner than an albino. The pink showing itself is not uncommon in dilute birds when they are young like that in the nest. Nothing to be alarmed about (it only shows when they are very very young).
As far as the "chocolates"... chocolate is just one of the terms that people use to call indigos. Indigo varies a lot in appearance. Some of them are quite dark, and some are quite light. Some of them can also be a near perfect mimic of ash red... the difference being they have darker heads and beaks and typically the tails and flight feathers are darker. Plus the indigo males also wont have the black flecking if it's mated with a blue. Spread indigo does not produce chocolates... spread indigo is commonly called andalusian. And indigo does not produce sex linked matings. It's only if you combine other sex linked genes that would make something sex linked, but not the indigo itself.
You area wealth of knowledge! Thank you! Let me read again to soak it all in...

I'm curious about what you guys do for a flying schedule? Do you let them free roam all day? Only in the morning/night? I'd like to let them fly as much as possible so they don't feel cooped up.

Personally I don't let mine free fly. I have a family of foxes, and tons of Hawks and even eagles around. Plus all of my birds are mostly white, easy prey. Another issue is that I know that my birds don't have great homing abilities, or at least I know they didn't, because that's how they got lost and rescued in the first place haha. I couldn't bear losing any of them so I don't let them free fly. They have a decent sized aviary and still seem relatively happy, plus they are safe. I do feel a bit bad cooping them up though.

I've always heard you shouldn't fly any birds you cant bear to lose. Plus a lot of the show breeds arent great flyers and wouldn't fare well after being chased by a hawk. If you have a decent sized flock of homers/racers they are a lot better at escaping and you wouldn't have to worry about it as much. I think it really just depends on the breed. I won't tell you what is and isn't the right answer to this, it's just the choice I've made and why I chose it haha. there are pros and cons with both and personal preference plays into it as well.

As for what time you should let them out and close up the loft, I can't answer that for obvious reasons haha. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom