Pigeon Talk

You mean rescue, and eat,,,:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit
well, I would never do that, They are happy to be free and in the wild... But, it's better than starving if you need the food. :hmm
I'm not opposed to eating my culls, but it is my understanding that Hawks will do it for me
no, they won't get your culls. They will get your top birds while they are rolling or distracted when about to roll. If you want your best birds to live, get racing homers. The faster they are, the better chances they have of living.

Well, I finally broke down and got some pigeons! Yeah! :clap

I've been breeding chickens and ducks for a few years now (also previously had turkey and quail) and I have 3 budgies indoors, but I decided I wanted some pigeons. So I found a fella close to me that had some fantails, which were the first pigeon to ever catch my eye and make me say "I want some of those!". Turned out that he also had a pair of Satinettes, and once I looked those up, I was hooked! So I met up with him last weekend. I got the pair of Satinettes, and he also had some parlor rollers. After looking at the fantails, I decided I liked the parlor rollers better, so I came home with the pair of Satinettes and a pair of parlor rollers.

Being not so new to the chicken world, but brand new to the pigeon world, I'd like to invite you to share your experiences with me. Major differences in raising pigeons as opposed to chickens, etc, etc. Especially pigeon specific stuff that non-pigeon people probably never thought of, etc. I've been reading many of the pigeon related threads here, but hate to hijack them with a bunch of my questions, so here we go..... tell me, tell me. :pop

View attachment 1555873 View attachment 1555874 View attachment 1555872

I'm also twisting the arm (*wink, wink*) of @Fields Mountain Farm and @shawluvsbirds to get some pigeons too, so we decided we could hopefully learn this stuff together.
So jealous! I have been wanting pigeons for years now but I cannot get a hold of any. I almost got a pair a couple months ago. they were black pigeons. But there were only two and it was 50 bucks

Do these rollers roll on purpose? Do they fly without rolling?
so... some would say yes, some would say no. No one I know of knows of why it how they roll, just like no one knows how it why homing pigeons return home. (Pigeons are still a very unknown bird, even though they are seen daily in the city) ... They can fly for long intervals without rolling, but it really depends on the bird. Some never even roll at all. I raised them for 1 year, then got out of them, mostly. I still have three, as they were my very first ones I ever got.
So jealous! I have been wanting pigeons for years now but I cannot get a hold of any. I almost got a pair a couple months ago. they were black pigeons. But there were only two and it was 50 bucks
where are you located? Craigslist has many pigeons for sale. If that doesn't work, you can go under bridges and capture young wild pigeons. don't capture adults, as they may have babies that need them, and they wouldn't handle captivity well at all.

Last edited:
so... some would say yes, some would say no. No one I know knows or why they roll, just like no one knows how it why homing pigeons return home. (Pigeons are still a very unknown bird, even though they are seen daily in the city) ... They can fly for long intervals without rolling, but it really depends on the bird. Some never even roll at all. I raised them for 1 year, then got out of them, mostly. I still have three, as they were my very first ones I ever got.
where are you located? Craigslist has many pigeons for sale. If that doesn't work, you can go under bridges and capture young wild pigeons. don't capture adults, as they may have babies that need them, and they wouldn't handle captivity well at all.
I live in idaho and i don't see very many wild pigeons every. i saw the black pair on craigslist but they were 50 bucks and i didn't have the money at the time and it was very sad. I here they make amazing pets!

I get that hawks are protected, but there should really be exceptions when they are hurting livestock. They are increasing in numbers like crazy. I'm europe, there so common fancier are happy to only lose one bird per fly. It's terrible. There populations are increasing because of it, and there actually harming native game birds such as bobwhite quail. Yet, the bobwhites are still hunted... Same with pheasants farther north. The hawks are just thining out birds, while they are going up in population quick. We better rethink the laws, as we are damaging many species

I'm done ;)

Keep your birds indoors if you are upset over hawks. You won't lose any.
Pheasants are native to China! They aren't even supposed to live in North America.

Back
Top Bottom