Pigeon Talk

I love the pattern on this guy. Is this sort of the halfway step to a tiger grizzle?
Bonus photo of the parents.
62894ED3-43D2-4921-B672-42B4D0C87909.jpeg
9598F7B4-D51F-4BC2-9E2C-2E82B691DAEF.jpeg
4EE2DA9D-51A3-4C53-B333-2CEAB78A9AB7.jpeg

Hey guys so the i oh their day I asked a question about pigeons with feathered feet and everyone was telling me the chick will be like the parents but here I think it’s different
920D7550-C1AC-4DEC-A794-84DA9755D0A8.jpeg
25631C9D-452E-47BE-AE69-4249839D729A.jpeg
0E858573-6A35-4799-9506-1A67D41CB161.jpeg

you see the parents don’t have hair on their toe but the baby seems to have it

Qwerty3159

Are the migrating hawks out of your area yet??
I’ve been seeing the hawks regularly but trying to work around them. I haven’t had an actual hawk attack on the pigeons (at least in the yard where I can see it) in months. There is a juvenile coopers but it’s been working the bird feeder and taking all the house sparrows. I haven’t been doing much flying because I only have four currently, one I won’t let out until she has a few more clutches of babies, one lazy old bird, and then the two young guys. I’ve been letting the two young guys out often but they usually rocket off into the air, do some laps, then come down and back in the loft. If they’re happy with that- then I am!

Yesterday was our first snow. I held off til putting the plastic over the aviary until this weekend, and the birds didn’t seem happy about it
7A1EB47D-F387-45BD-8CB1-5B67CFF5751F.jpeg

I’ve been seeing the hawks regularly but trying to work around them. I haven’t had an actual hawk attack on the pigeons (at least in the yard where I can see it) in months. There is a juvenile coopers but it’s been working the bird feeder and taking all the house sparrows. I haven’t been doing much flying because I only have four currently, one I won’t let out until she has a few more clutches of babies, one lazy old bird, and then the two young guys. I’ve been letting the two young guys out often but they usually rocket off into the air, do some laps, then come down and back in the loft. If they’re happy with that- then I am!

Yesterday was our first snow. I held off til putting the plastic over the aviary until this weekend, and the birds didn’t seem happy about it
View attachment 2393978
I'm just now getting ready to put on the plastic where I use it in winter too! My birds are so plump and well feathered after their molt that I'm not at all worried they'll be chilled. Lol I don't cover all my vents/doors, just enough to prevent DIRECT drafts on the roosts.

There’s a lot of different opinions on the topic but I would discourage winter breeding. Sitting on fakes through the winter should be fine. Your pairs might try it - maybe not. Mine are still trying to hatch eggs.

I had a very prolific pair last year which I considered to be EXCELLENT parents and then when they had a surprise hatching of two eggs in December they spent more time off the nest than normal and fed the squabs less than they should have. One ended up falling out of the nest bowl overnight and froze to death, which is when I decided I wouldn’t allow it again. Even an insulated and draft free loft can simply get too cold in the winter for a squab to survive something like that.

There’s a lot of different opinions on the topic but I would discourage winter breeding. Sitting on fakes through the winter should be fine. Your pairs might try it - maybe not. Mine are still trying to hatch eggs.

I had a very prolific pair last year which I considered to be EXCELLENT parents and then when they had a surprise hatching of two eggs in December they spent more time off the nest than normal and fed the squabs less than they should have. One ended up falling out of the nest bowl overnight and froze to death, which is when I decided I wouldn’t allow it again. Even an insulated and draft free loft can simply get too cold in the winter for a squab to survive something like that.
Good advice. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom