Qwerty3159

Crowing
Dec 3, 2017
Rhode Island
There’s a lot of different opinions on the topic but I would discourage winter breeding. Sitting on fakes through the winter should be fine. Your pairs might try it - maybe not. Mine are still trying to hatch eggs.

I had a very prolific pair last year which I considered to be EXCELLENT parents and then when they had a surprise hatching of two eggs in December they spent more time off the nest than normal and fed the squabs less than they should have. One ended up falling out of the nest bowl overnight and froze to death, which is when I decided I wouldn’t allow it again. Even an insulated and draft free loft can simply get too cold in the winter for a squab to survive something like that.

biophiliac

Traveler in BYCLand
Apr 22, 2016
DeForest, WI
There’s a lot of different opinions on the topic but I would discourage winter breeding. Sitting on fakes through the winter should be fine. Your pairs might try it - maybe not. Mine are still trying to hatch eggs.

I had a very prolific pair last year which I considered to be EXCELLENT parents and then when they had a surprise hatching of two eggs in December they spent more time off the nest than normal and fed the squabs less than they should have. One ended up falling out of the nest bowl overnight and froze to death, which is when I decided I wouldn’t allow it again. Even an insulated and draft free loft can simply get too cold in the winter for a squab to survive something like that.
Good advice. :thumbsup

Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
Pyxis

Did these come Express Mail directly from Transylvania?? :old JK:highfive:
Cant wait to see profile pix of them sitting on a roost:love:thumbsup
I'll get pictures as soon as they clear quarantine and are in the loft :)

Red boy is a 2017 bird, going by his band, same as Cyril and Clara. Yellow boy is a 2019 bird. Hen is a 2020, and was not banded.

cavemanrich

Enabler
Apr 6, 2014
Melrose Park Illinois
Just wondering about the shipping.. How long were they in transit?? and from how far? and approximate co$t?
I know Foy's ships pigeons, and it is pricey. but way cheaper than traveling the distance to get them.
For me personally, if it was under 300 miles, I would prefer driving.

Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
Just wondering about the shipping.. How long were they in transit?? and from how far? and approximate co$t?
I know Foy's ships pigeons, and it is pricey. but way cheaper than traveling the distance to get them.
For me personally, if it was under 300 miles, I would prefer driving.
They were in transit for two days. They came from MS, so definitely further than I could drive. The cost of shipping plus the price of the box was $75.

Top Bottom