Pigeon Talk

I have a question.

What genes could be at play if a Pigeon when young has white feathers with black spots but as it matures and moults it loses its black colour and becomes pure white

(The pigeon has blackish brown eye)

The first thing to understand about white pigeons is that white is NOT A COLOR. Sounds crazy, huh? But it's true.
Only three base colors are found in pigeons - Ash-red, Blue/black and brown, in order of dominance.
White feathers and pure white birds result from other genes that affect the expression of the color genes. So even a pure white bird carries the genes for one of the three base colors.
There are some good sources of further information online. I'll try to locate a link for you.
Thank you. I would greatly appreciate it if you could forward me any link which might help me

I have a question.

What genes could be at play if a Pigeon when young has white feathers with black spots but as it matures and moults it loses its black colour and becomes pure white

I have a question.

I'm no genetics expert but my WAG is a factor called mottle might be in play there. The second link above goes into detail on the different factors that produce white.

Can anyone tell me what color this is?
Thanks in advance!
86C0A9AB-F3E1-4293-8433-CF232B891EFF.jpeg

Can anyone tell me what color this is?
Thanks in advance!
View attachment 2440738
Dilute blue... commonly referred to as dun. Probably has a little bit of bronzing which gives it that sulfur look when dilute is in the equation. Is the parent an actual black? or is it a dark check t-pattern bird? I think I see what is a tail bar, and that along with the bronzing makes me think that the parent is a t-pattern and not an actual spread blue (black).

Back
Top Bottom