Pigeon Talk

Now at 5 eggs... 2 pairs, plus a first egg in a third nest. Guess these birds have their cycles in sync. :p

Great romantic that I am, I always put my pairs together on Valentines day. By the end of Feb. almost all pairs had eggs. I would take the first egg, replace it with a wooden egg, store it in a shot glass on the bedroom dresser, and then return it when the second egg was laid two days later. Prior to doing that a lot of first eggs got chilled and were not viable. It's that time of year for 'flock explosion'.

Great romantic that I am, I always put my pairs together on Valentines day. By the end of Feb. almost all pairs had eggs. I would take the first egg, replace it with a wooden egg, store it in a shot glass on the bedroom dresser, and then return it when the second egg was laid two days later. Prior to doing that a lot of first eggs got chilled and were not viable. It's that time of year for 'flock explosion'.
I remember! I have taken the first egg in the past, but I’m not overly anxious to have more birds (sacrilege... I know!) so I’m ok with only one hatching from each pair. :oops: I’ll check the eggs in a few days.

I got a new species of bird today!

Starlings! No, not starling pigeons. The good ol' European Starling.

I built an aviary on the back of my breeder loft, for the pigeons. Well, they simply don't use it. And, I have been wanting starlings for a while. So,,, I decided to trap some. Hehe.

I guess I just like the invasive species from Europe? First pigeons, then starlings, whats next? Eurasian collared doves? They already seem to be taking to my 5×3×4 aviary. One has started eating out of my hand, just a couple hours after I caught it! I have actually caught a few by hand, while they were eating at the bird feeder. :oops:

*for those who don't know,,, starlings are an invasive species introduced from Europe, just like pigeons. it is encouraged to kill them, as they kill many native birds. There are no regulations regarding what you do with them. What I'm doing is legal, and encouraged.*

i have 9 total. I could catch probably 25 more if i wanted. I dont plan to keep all 9. I will let some loose as I see pairs form.

IMG_20210218_163339.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210218_163452.jpg
    IMG_20210218_163452.jpg
    824.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210218_163357.jpg
    IMG_20210218_163357.jpg
    754 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210218_163402.jpg
    IMG_20210218_163402.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Really cool! When I lost my last flock I was considering trying to get some starlings to fill my aviary instead, at least until my lone survivor turned up in another state. Good luck with them! They're really neat and intelligent birds, they make great pets. If you breed them (they're quite prolific) and are willing to ship you will definitely find many customers, myself included.

Really cool! When I lost my last flock I was considering trying to get some starlings to fill my aviary instead, at least until my lone survivor turned up in another state. Good luck with them! They're really neat and intelligent birds, they make great pets. If you have any luck breeding them and are willing to ship you will definitely find many customers, myself included.
That's neat! I must say, I'm glad you stuck with pigeons. ;)

Let me know of any care advice you have!

My goal is to breed them. I will be interested in shipping and selling. But, how do the birds make it without food or water for that long, in a small box? I know pigeons are fine, but starlings are so small!

I don't like breeding animals in hopes of making money, but, I will be needing a car before long. Funny how thoughts change as you need a big purchase. Gotta find little ways to make a little money.

I will let you know if I get some youngins to sell. What about 'wild caught' adults, once they are tame enough to be eating out of my hand and sitting on me? I don't know what starling (fanciers?) (Peeps?) People want when buying a bird.

Thanks! How are your parakeets? What's the weather like up there now?

My parakeets are still fine. When my cats aren’t trying to torture them. Lol
I had to put a sheet of plexiglass on the front of their cage so the cats would stop hanging on it.

We’ve had pretty lousy weather all week. But not as bad as some places. It’s snowing again now, but got up to about 34 today, and some of the previous ice started to melt. Was actually tolerable to stay outside with the birds for a bit.

I even made a snow duck. :lau
E6FBCFF4-F125-4A32-A216-F6AD86FDBABE.jpeg

Funny story... While watching my prized starlings, a wild one (I guess they're all wild?) Came and landed on the cage. It saw me, but was more interested in food. It hung around for a bit, looking for a way in, then flew off. It's been back several times. I might have to let him in, I don't know... This ice is tough on the poor critters. Nothing can get down to the ground for food. The birds will pretty much let you pet them while eating at my bird feeders. I also give them water, which they can not find otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom