Pigeon Talk

So one of my tumbler hens managed to get herself stuck in the feeder and killed herself. This is a pigeon feeder made for pigeons too, so I don't even know how she did it.

Quite honestly even though I like these guys I might switch to another breed. I just have no luck with them. I think they're so rare in this country the gene pool might be a bit shallow. Cyril and Clara after two years have only ever raised one chick successfully, the red boy is a terrible bully to poor Sundae, and now I have suicidal hens.

So one of my tumbler hens managed to get herself stuck in the feeder and killed herself. This is a pigeon feeder made for pigeons too, so I don't even know how she did it.

Quite honestly even though I like these guys I might switch to another breed. I just have no luck with them. I think they're so rare in this country the gene pool might be a bit shallow. Cyril and Clara after two years have only ever raised one chick successfully, the red boy is a terrible bully to poor Sundae, and now I have suicidal hens.
Sorry for the loss. Do you have a picture of this feeder? I'm kind of at a loss trying to figure out what happened. Was it that her head or neck was stuck somewhere and she possibly snapped it or suffocated? Would like to offer some kind of advice, but just don't know what happened or what it looks like...

Sorry for the loss. Do you have a picture of this feeder? I'm kind of at a loss trying to figure out what happened. Was it that her head or neck was stuck somewhere and she possibly snapped it or suffocated? Would like to offer some kind of advice, but just don't know what happened or what it looks like...

She got herself entirely in there. It's the flat tray feeder kind that has the wires to keep the birds from perching in it, like this:

51CYUlFx8HL._AC_SS450_.jpg

Somehow she squeezed her entire body between the wires, got all the way into the feeder, and then died in there.

She got herself entirely in there. It's the flat tray feeder kind that has the wires to keep the birds from perching in it, like this:

Somehow she squeezed her entire body between the wires, got all the way into the feeder, and then died in there.
an immediate solution would be to use a coat hanger wire, and make so other pigeons wont do same entry.
image_2021-02-23_162919.png

Well, that makes it even more perplexing... about how long is it usually between times that you check on your birds? I mean unless she was sick, I don't see how her squeezing in there could have killed her unless the other birds decided to peck her to death. Did you notice any wounds or anything? Notice anything about her weight? possibly very thin? About how far apart are those wires? I would guess they are fairly tight and only a very skinny bird could squeeze through there...

View attachment 2540976
Here we go! What do you think?
I don't know why, but I didn't get any alerts for this thread... Sorry for the delayed quotes.

I can't follow thru the attachment... Can you try again?
@backyardpigeons told me awhile back that apparently Kiwi and Peach do not follow normal pigeon sitting schedule. They just kind of switch randomly throughout the day, but theres always one sitting on eggs. They are Afghan pigeons, my only pair.
uh oh. Don't quote me! Haha. Typically speaking, males sit during the day and hens at night.
I'm so sorry. That's no fun.
well, I don't want to rush you, but I am always in pursuit of getting more Portuguese Tumbler enthusiast. They are easy to breed, small, alert, and there's a great club for them. "A performance breed in the showroom" is the clubs motto.

I mean, who can say no to this?

IMG_20210127_155322.jpg
IMG_20210112_130457.jpg

IMG_20191027_125420.jpg
IMG_20190509_135626.jpg
IMG_20190509_135541_kindlephoto-236762753.jpg

Well, that makes it even more perplexing... about how long is it usually between times that you check on your birds? I mean unless she was sick, I don't see how her squeezing in there could have killed her unless the other birds decided to peck her to death. Did you notice any wounds or anything? Notice anything about her weight? possibly very thin? About how far apart are those wires? I would guess they are fairly tight and only a very skinny bird could squeeze through there...

I check them daily. After looking her over, she was perhaps a little thin. No signs of injuries. I think she got in there and panicked and killed herself somehow, maybe snapped her neck between the bars or something.
well, I don't want to rush you, but I am always in pursuit of getting more Portuguese Tumbler enthusiast. They are easy to breed, small, alert, and there's a great club for them. "A performance breed in the showroom" is the clubs motto.

I mean, who can say no to this?

They are cute! If I do switch breeds, I think I would get Saints, though. I really like the looks of them.

Back
Top Bottom