Pigeon Talk

AECC11A6-29A9-4FA8-9168-60CF6C767B9A.jpeg
This dodo bird is too cute

Hi everyone!! I need help!! My sister watched a pigeon nose dive into the concrete yesterday and he broke his wing!! I have it wrapped up but I’m worried he won’t heal, and that he’s in pain!! He has drinken alittle bit of water!! And I’m not sure what to feed him!! What should I be doing!!?
A085B914-F5B7-43B7-B386-395D09C47E91.jpeg

Hi everyone!! I need help!! My sister watched a pigeon nose dive into the concrete yesterday and he broke his wing!! I have it wrapped up but I’m worried he won’t heal, and that he’s in pain!! He has drinken alittle bit of water!! And I’m not sure what to feed him!! What should I be doing!!? View attachment 2663573
Hows he doing now? Do you perhaps have any bird rescues around? That would be my first step. I'm gonna assume theres no leg band and that it's probably a feral pigeon?

The wing doesn't look like it's sitting normally, it looks like the feathers are in the wrong position while wrapped up, try to move the wing and feathers to mimic the healthy wing then wrap that together. Water is probably gonna be the most important for now but bird seed and/or a wild pigeon/dove mix is still probably a good idea if theres no bird rescue around.

Hows he doing now? Do you perhaps have any bird rescues around? That would be my first step. I'm gonna assume theres no leg band and that it's probably a feral pigeon?

The wing doesn't look like it's sitting normally, it looks like the feathers are in the wrong position while wrapped up, try to move the wing and feathers to mimic the healthy wing then wrap that together. Water is probably gonna be the most important for now but bird seed and/or a wild pigeon/dove mix is still probably a good idea if theres no bird rescue around.
Thank you so much for the reply!! I had to rewrap his wing!! I think I have it in a better position!! He has eaten a good amount of bird food and I keep offering him water!! I’m not sure if I have a bird rescue around!! He was just a wild bird in the city!! So I’m really hoping he will heal up and get to go back where we found him!! 🥺 am I doing anything wrong!!?

Thank you so much for the reply!! I had to rewrap his wing!! I think I have it in a better position!! He has eaten a good amount of bird food and I keep offering him water!! I’m not sure if I have a bird rescue around!! He was just a wild bird in the city!! So I’m really hoping he will heal up and get to go back where we found him!! 🥺 am I doing anything wrong!!?
I don't think anything wrong, if you're hoping to do it yourself though you may have to buy pigeon food (you can probably find it for $20 a bag or so at a feedstore, I know WilCo has it and I imagine TSC might?) You'll probably need to make some sort of temporary cage cause the wing will probably take a while to heal. There's a good chance it may not heal well enough though to be released, just so you know.

Is there any open wound? any blood or broken skin? Swelling, does it feel hot? You don't have to answer this immediately but the next time you remove the bandage, checking these things would be great : )

I don't think anything wrong, if you're hoping to do it yourself though you may have to buy pigeon food (you can probably find it for $20 a bag or so at a feedstore, I know WilCo has it and I imagine TSC might?) You'll probably need to make some sort of temporary cage cause the wing will probably take a while to heal. There's a good chance it may not heal well enough though to be released, just so you know.

Is there any open wound? any blood or broken skin? Swelling, does it feel hot? You don't have to answer this immediately but the next time you remove the bandage, checking these things would be great : )
There was some blood when he I first got him!! I tried to find an open wound but I couldn’t seem to see past his feathers! I’m not sure if there was swelling, it’s hard to exam him because hes all squiggly 😂 but I do know, I remember when I was wrapping him yesterday I could feel alittle but of heat going through my glove! So he’s definitely warm!! I can go up to tractor supply today and try and find some food for him!! I wanna thank you for helping me!! I can’t seem to find anyone else to help me figure this out! 🥺🥰

I can go up to tractor supply today and try and find some food for him!
I used wild bird seeds to feed my pigeons when I did not have regular pigeon feed. When I did have pigeon seeds, I also provided the bird seeds as well. (sort of like scratch for chickens as treat). There are some pigeon keepers that feed chicken feed pellets to their pigeons. The pigeons do not see it as their preference, but it still is good nutrition regardless.
When I offered it to my pigeons, they disregarded it, and waited for their other seeds that they knew were coming. I'm sure if the other seeds did not come soon, hunger would have convinced then to go for the chicken pellets.
That is why I'm writing to inform you that wild bird mix will work just fine. Just consider the conditions in the wild outdoors. Pigeons eat what they can find. It is not anywhere as complete as a wild bird mix.

BTW, since your pigeon is eating,,,,,, that is a very good sign that he should recover well. :thumbsup

I'm am not here to start a debate, about the IDEAL feed, and 15%protein content, and all the necessary minerals and vitamins for optimal health of pigeons. The pigeon racers that need to be Olympic Shape benefit from such a science diet, much the way compared to a Human Olympian not supposed to eat fast food meals.

There are many peeps here that are willing to help you here. :hugs It just so happened that @Northwest_Wannabe was online when your question came up. She did such a fine thorough job explaining:highfive::love, that there was no need to add much to it.

Wishing your pigeon a complete recovery. I am also a realist, and know that not all will recover to 100% . Your pigeon may recover to the point of a comfortable life, but not to the ability to fly free, as before. In that situation, you may have a pet pigeon for life. :love. They make fine pets indoors, and will bond to a human caretaker.

I have read here on BYC, of more than one injured pigeon being taken care of because of injury. (and became pets) I can tag them if you wanted me to. Maybe they can give ideas on how they dealt with the new pet.

Another member @Serin frequently stops by here. He purchased his pet pigeon from the feed store. Olive lives like a queen in his home. :love
He can offer good advice if you decide to keep your pigeon as an Indoor Pet.

I used wild bird seeds to feed my pigeons when I did not have regular pigeon feed. When I did have pigeon seeds, I also provided the bird seeds as well. (sort of like scratch for chickens as treat). There are some pigeon keepers that feed chicken feed pellets to their pigeons. The pigeons do not see it as their preference, but it still is good nutrition regardless.
When I offered it to my pigeons, they disregarded it, and waited for their other seeds that they knew were coming. I'm sure if the other seeds did not come soon, hunger would have convinced then to go for the chicken pellets.
That is why I'm writing to inform you that wild bird mix will work just fine. Just consider the conditions in the wild outdoors. Pigeons eat what they can find. It is not anywhere as complete as a wild bird mix.

BTW, since your pigeon is eating,,,,,, that is a very good sign that he should recover well. :thumbsup

I'm am not here to start a debate, about the IDEAL feed, and 15%protein content, and all the necessary minerals and vitamins for optimal health of pigeons. The pigeon racers that need to be Olympic Shape benefit from such a science diet, much the way compared to a Human Olympian not supposed to eat fast food meals.

There are many peeps here that are willing to help you here. :hugs It just so happened that @Northwest_Wannabe was online when your question came up. She did such a fine thorough job explaining:highfive::love, that there was no need to add much to it.

Wishing your pigeon a complete recovery. I am also a realist, and know that not all will recover to 100% . Your pigeon may recover to the point of a comfortable life, but not to the ability to fly free, as before. In that situation, you may have a pet pigeon for life. :love. They make fine pets indoors, and will bond to a human caretaker.

I have read here on BYC, of more than one injured pigeon being taken care of because of injury. (and became pets) I can tag them if you wanted me to. Maybe they can give ideas on how they dealt with the new pet.

Another member @Serin frequently stops by here. He purchased his pet pigeon from the feed store. Olive lives like a queen in his home. :love
He can offer good advice if you decide to keep your pigeon as an Indoor Pet.
Thank you so so much for your help!! I appreciate it so much!!! I feel more at ease that I’m doing okay with him!! 🥰 he just ate a whole small bowl full of wild bird feed!! He really seems to be enjoying it!! I’m really surprised that he’s eating!! I thought he would be too scared to do anything!! I just hope that his little wing can heal fully!! 🥺

he just ate a whole small bowl full of wild bird feed!!
That is great. :thumbsup I am sure you are providing him water also. Just wanted to add this about water for pigeons, although you may already know this.
Pigeons do not drink like chickens. They put their whole beak into water and sort of inhale the water. (maybe the term should be "siphon") :idunnoSort of like us using a straw to drink a beverage out of a glass. They need the container to be sufficiently deep enough for that. Chickens on the other hand can drink from a shallow container, and raise their head up to let water trickle down throat. Pigeons don't drink this way.

Also just wanted to add this. If you could possibly provide some grit for pigeon to take in free-choice. Get some small stones from the dirt outdoors, and let that dirt be there available. Here is a pix of the grit for pigeons. You can just get some from outdoors and it will work fine for now. The stones are about 1/8 inch across. He does not need a lot of them, and if they are just laying around on the bottom of a dish, he will choose to take as needed. You can also throw in some cracked oyster shells as grit also. (you might have those if you have chickens). Don't be surprised if not much, or any of the grit is consumed. They know what they need naturally.
1620881871448.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom