Pigeon Talk

Racing pigeons live a much better life than any of these "rescue" pigeons.
Also, what are your thought on breeding breeds like Pouters/Croppers with especially large globes, Owls with short beaks, or fantails that hold their heads so far back? Is it ethical to breed for characteristics that make life more difficult for them?
I don't really think its an issue unless it impedes with the birds natural functions such as eating/drinking. The majority of people who keep these breeds do anything they can for their birds health, so I don't think it is cruel.

I noticed one of my pigeons acting odd yesterday and realized it was starting to go blind. Several quail that I keep in the bottom of the pigeon loft also seem to be going blind. I assume this is some sort of vitamin deficiency? Is it too late to treat the ones that are already going blind?

How can you tell they are going blind? Are you sure they have not got sore eyes from an infection or irritation?

What do you feed them? If they get normal chicken feed and grains they won't have a deficiency.

How can you tell they are going blind? Are you sure they have not got sore eyes from an infection or irritation?

What do you feed them? If they get normal chicken feed and grains they won't have a deficiency.
The birds that I looked at have cloudy looking pupils and move their heads a lot like they're trying to get a better view of what's around them. They're also much easier to catch. Other than that loss of vision though, the bird's look fine.

I'm feeding the pigeons pigeon food and the quail game bird crumbles. I'm sure they eat from each other's feeders sometimes though. This "pigeon food" seems like little more than bird seed now that I think about it so I'll get a picture of the food and the ingredients once the sun comes up. I'll also get pictures of the birds with vision loss.

Hmmm.......they have the right food, and it won't harm them eating each others food either.

If the eyes seem open normally and not sore then I doubt it's an infection.

It is very strange that this is happening. Usually something like this is just one bird.

I can only suggest you check the enclosure for something sharp that might be scratching the birds eyes...like a sticking out wire on the mesh or feeder.

If not, then take a pigeon and quail to a vet. Even if not an avian vet they will be able to look closely at the eyes to see if they are physically damaged or have a parasite in them.

Hope you find out what's going on. Let is know.

Here is probably the worst case.
IMG_20221115_113523891.jpg

This is the only pigeon with obvious vision loss. It seems very hesitant to fly but it did see me coming.
IMG_20221115_113657964~2.jpg
IMG_20221115_113711761~2.jpg

The bottom half of the enclosure has wooden walls and a concrete floor so I'm almost sure the quail can't get to anything sharp. The top half is wire so there's the chance a piece is sticking out. I'll check again later. I wish I could bring a bird to the vet but my mom would never allow it.

Back
Top Bottom