Pigeon Talk

Had my first squabs of the year hatch a couple weeks ago, but they both died within the first 3 days. One appeared to have hatched with a little yolk unabsorbed, and was dead when I first saw them, the other died a couple days later, during that really cold weather we had. But mom is at it again, already building another nest. And I figured out who her mate is. It’s another Bluette! Yay! I have a few Bluettes, but none had paired with another until now.

IMG_6839.jpeg
IMG_6889.jpeg

Had my first squabs of the year hatch a couple weeks ago, but they both died within the first 3 days. One appeared to have hatched with a little yolk unabsorbed, and was dead when I first saw them, the other died a couple days later, during that really cold weather we had. But mom is at it again, already building another nest. And I figured out who her mate is. It’s another Bluette! Yay! I have a few Bluettes, but none had paired with another until now.

View attachment 3734222View attachment 3734223
Cuties

I have no guesses, pure white is recessive and hides whatever genetics the bird might have so there is no knowing what will come from it!
Agreed. I’ll venture a guess though and say you’re likely to get more white birds with a colored wing shield, though as for the color of the wing shield it’s anyone’s guess!

Agreed. I’ll venture a guess though and say you’re likely to get more white birds with a colored wing shield, though as for the color of the wing shield it’s anyone’s guess!
That's good to know! I know most of the basics but there are so many white marking genes I can't keep track of them.

Hi Everyone:frow
Thank you @WVduckchick for your help and for inviting me to the thread.

I'll try to make this short.
Couple of weeks ago, I found a Pigeon. Cold, hungry and thirsty.
She's banded, so I was able to track down her owner who did not want her back.
Anyway. I placed her in a box in the shed, gave her some food/water.
She stayed in the shed at night and I'd place her in a dog crate outside during the day while I worked on her "home".

I have a larger kennel that was already roofed on a platform, etc., just needed covered with hardware cloth. So I finally got that done and she's now in her "new home".
She seems to be happier in there, than just the cage. She's eating well and seems to be healthy.

IF the band date is correct, she's 8 years old, but I'm not quite so sure about that. I suppose at some point I'll have to find her a friend or two🤭

She has no name. I say "she", the owner alluded to "she" but who knows!😂

I don't know anything about Pigeons, so suggestions/comments/feedback are very much appreciated.

This is a couple of weeks ago when I found her. She did have some lice or some type of bugs in her feathers. I promptly dusted her!
1707540154475.jpeg

Box Jail. First day here. It was COLD and she was hungry.
1707540225743.jpeg

A week after I found her, she's getting perking up.
1707540328746.jpeg

A couple of weeks later, dusted, fed/watered and just a few vitamins. Cheeky thing she is.
1707540399480.jpeg

Not the biggest space, but better than a dog crate, I think.
1707540487225.jpeg

Just a look at the finished kennel. I hope I can make her somewhat comfy here.
1707540543811.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Everyone:frow
Thank you @WVduckchick for your help and for inviting me to the thread.

I'll try to make this short.
Couple of weeks ago, I found a Pigeon. Cold, hungry and thirsty.
She's banded, so I was able to track down her owner who did not want her back.
Anyway. I placed her in a box in the shed, gave her some food/water.
She stayed in the shed at night and I'd place her in a dog crate outside during the day while I worked on her "home".

I have a larger kennel that was already roofed on a platform, etc., just needed covered with hardware cloth. So I finally got that done and she's now in her "new home".
She seems to be happier in there, than just the cage. She's eating well and seems to be healthy.

IF the band date is correct, she's 8 years old, but I'm not quite so sure about that. I suppose at some point I'll have to find her a friend or two🤭

She has no name. I say "she", the owner alluded to "she" but who knows!😂

I don't know anything about Pigeons, so suggestions/comments/feedback are very much appreciated.

This is a couple of weeks ago when I found her. She did have some lice or some type of bugs in her feathers. I promptly dusted her!
View attachment 3744593
Box Jail. First day here. It was COLD and she was hungry.
View attachment 3744594
A week after I found her, she's getting perking up.
View attachment 3744596

A couple of weeks later, dusted, fed/watered and just a few vitamins. Cheeky thing she is.
View attachment 3744597

Not the biggest space, but better than a dog crate, I think.
View attachment 3744598

Just a look at the finished kennel. I hope I can make her somewhat comfy here.
View attachment 3744599
How far away does her previous owner live from you??? Often times, they don't want their pigeons back for various reasons.
Have too many at present.
Doesn't want a pigeon with poor homing skills.
Pigeon not worth the travel expense.
Generally, pigeon fanciers place valid bands with current year. Those bands are not expensive.
If that person is not far from you....... would you consider getting some of his pigeons to accompany your.??

There is still an active group of pigeon fanciers on these forums,,,,, to answer all your questions.

Back
Top Bottom