Pigeon throwing up and lethargic

SniperGoose

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 15, 2018
Central PA
I have a female pet pigeon, Percy, whom I raised since she was a week or so old. She's almost a year old now. Last night when I covered up her cage for the night, she was completely fine. When I uncovered her cage about half an hour ago, she was looking off. Her wings were drooped, and she was a little puffed up. Then she started vomiting up undigested seeds. I didn't see any liquid in with the seeds. She's never been sick before. I didn't get a chance to look at her droppings, as I'm rushing around to get ready for work. Will update on that later when I get home!

I did very recently have a bad cold. Could she catch that at all?? I'm pretty worried about her, and don't know what to do for her. I have to leave for work here in a few minutes too, so I'm unable to stay home with her today. Any tips on what I can do for my Percy girl?? Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry your pigeon is not well.
Let's tag in some folks that may be able to help.

@R2elk @floppysquirrel04 @Old_Strain_Lover @casportpony

I don't know anything about pigeons, but my thoughts that with any bird that is throwing up/spitting up water and food - there is a crop issue, could be a blockage of the gizzard and/or intestines too.

When you get a chance - photos of her poop would be good so the others can chime in.

As far as I know, No...she would not have caught your cold.

This could be a lot of things, including yeast infection and liver disease. Best thing to do would be to contact a vet as soon as you can.

No, she could not catch your sickness.

Best of luck!

Is a vet an option?
I wish. But the nearest avian vet from me is nearly 3 hours away, and I really can't afford that right now. I wish I could.

Is there anything you would recommend that I can do to help her? I keep Sav-a-chick on hand for my chickens/duck/geese. Would that stuff help her at all???

Just got home from work! I put down some fresh paper on the floor of her cage before leaving this morning, so I could see if she pooed or vomited anymore. I attached a pic of her poo. This looks like multiple droppings combined, since I suspect she was sitting there for a little while.

I feed her BirdLover's Blend Dove, Pigeon, & Quail Blend. And she of course has grit readily available to her.

I have good news though! She seems much much perkier. She's not all fluffed up, and isn't dropping her wings as much. She's even eating some grit right now. Still, I am going to keep a close eye on her.

Attachments

• 0303201521.jpg
    0303201521.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 4
How are her weight and droppings? Canker is a possible culprit with vomiting. Is she confined in a cage without access to other birds? What exactly are you feeding her?
I attached a photo of her droppings in my post above, and also noted what feed I give her.

She is currently in a flight cage by herself, but is near my other pigeon, Blu.

Back
Top Bottom