Pigeon visitor

Jakico

Songster
Nov 28, 2019
A homing pigeon came to visit us last summer. It stayed on the roof and also tired to sleep in our chicken coop. Last year we went to an extreme heat wave of 120°. I took pity on the bird and try to accommodate it, I also called the owners from the band I found on its Legs. They didn’t really seem to care that the pigeon was missing or had been hanging around our property for months. I caught the bird and probably spooked it so it disappeared for a while. However it’s now back. I have read about homing pigeons and that sometimes they are just very hungry and thirsty and need a safe place to stop. The owners do not care about the pigeon. They only live like 5 miles from us so I can bring them the pigeon or they can get it. It’s now today and it’s raining so I’ve decided to let it sleep in the coop. I’ll wake up really early and let it out so it doesn’t kill itself on all the bird netting meant to protect my chickens. But like what I do with this pigeon. Is seriously breaking my heart that it just keeps showing up. And has spent months befriending my chicken. It has become so brazen that it goes into the roost at night. I just want to Protect it but at the same time I know it can’t fly around in my coop while I’m at work.

A homing pigeon came to visit us last summer. It stayed on the roof and also tired to sleep in our chicken coop. Last year we went to an extreme heat wave of 120°. I took pity on the bird and try to accommodate it, I also called the owners from the band I found on its Legs. They didn’t really seem to care that the pigeon was missing or had been hanging around our property for months. I caught the bird and probably spooked it so it disappeared for a while. However it’s now back. I have read about homing pigeons and that sometimes they are just very hungry and thirsty and need a safe place to stop. The owners do not care about the pigeon. They only live like 5 miles from us so I can bring them the pigeon or they can get it. It’s now today and it’s raining so I’ve decided to let it sleep in the coop. I’ll wake up really early and let it out so it doesn’t kill itself on all the bird netting meant to protect my chickens. But like what I do with this pigeon. Is seriously breaking my heart that it just keeps showing up. And has spent months befriending my chicken. It has become so brazen that it goes into the roost at night. I just want to Protect it but at the same time I know it can’t fly around in my coop while I’m at work.
You should try to find it a home, many people keep pigeons as pets. I would bring it inside, a single pigeon isn’t safe outdoors. Some animal shelters will take in pigeons, you could put up an ad on Craigslist, and there’s pigeon Facebook groups focused on rehoming birds.

I don't quite understand why you are concerned about the pigeon in your coop while you are gone. What could it hurt?

I don't quite understand why you are concerned about the pigeon in your coop while you are gone. What could it hurt?
Because pigeons needs a way to leave the coop during the day they fly during the day. My chicken run is covered with netting. The pigeons will attempt to fly and get caught and likely die and my chickens will probably eat it. Even if it doesn’t fly and decides to walk around the coop and run my chicken will eff it up. I also don’t want chance whatever disease, such as avian flu being passed on to my flock.

Because pigeons needs a way to leave the coop during the day they fly during the day. My chicken run is covered with netting. The pigeons will attempt to fly and get caught and likely die and my chickens will probably eat it. Even if it doesn’t fly and decides to walk around the coop and run my chicken will eff it up. I also don’t want chance whatever disease, such as avian flu being passed on to my flock.
Years ago I had pigeons. I kept them in an enclosure with netting over the top. I had to. They were homing pigeons. They were not born on my place so if they were turned loose they would have gone back to where they came from. Being in the enclosure caused no issues.

Years ago I had pigeons. I kept them in an enclosure with netting over the top. I had to. They were homing pigeons. They were not born on my place so if they were turned loose they would have gone back to where they came from. Being in the enclosure caused no issues
Did you keep them with other types of birds? How high was the netting?

This was many moons ago. Many many moons ago. I was a kid. I think the netting was about seven feet high. I didn't have them with any other birds. I didn't have any other birds at the time. The next generation of pigeons that were born there and would therefore stay there were loose and they did interact with the neighbor's chickens.

Please try to find the pigeon a home. It’s dangerous, not to mention lonely, for a pigeon to be without a flock of its own kind (unless it’s a housebird who is bonded to a person).

Back
Top Bottom