Pigeon visitor

Please try to find the pigeon a home. It’s dangerous, not to mention lonely, for a pigeon to be without a flock of its own kind (unless it’s a housebird who is bonded to a person).
I’ve tried and no one wants it…I’ve tried to scare it off. (Which made me feel awful) It must just be in a state desperation and I assume it’s relied on humans to survive. I cut a hole in the coop on the end that’s doesn’t lead to the run so it’s free to leave when it wants for the next two days because I’ll be out of town. I gave it bowl of dove food and bought a pigeon waterer. I’m posting on a pigeon forum hoping there is a taker, in the meantime I’ll try and give it the best care I can. When I get back to town I think I’ll cover its exit until the avian flu dies down or someone takes it off my hands. Hate to risk it getting hurt by either my chickens or the bird netting, but hate to this it’s flying all over bringing back something that could kill my girls

Last edited:
My friend, this year I would be wary of any visitor because of avian influenza
Map of outbreak
https://recombinomics.co/h5n1-hpai-united-states-2022-map/
That is terrifying. I’m considering just letting it stay and not letting it leave because of this. It’s a bad situation either way, but I’d rather risk one persons bird they have neglected by forcing it to stay than all of my girls. ( I don’t know if I’m forcing it, she really won’t leave) I already lost one to cancer two weeks ago and don’t want anymore.

I’ve tried and no one wants it…I’ve tried to scare it off. (Which made me feel awful) It must just be in a state desperation and I assume it’s relied on humans to survive. I cut a hole in the coop on the end that’s doesn’t lead to the run so it’s free to leave when it wants for the next two days because I’ll be out of town. I gave it bowl of dove food and bought a pigeon waterer. I’m posting on a pigeon forum hoping there is a taker, in the meantime I’ll try and give it the best care I can. When I get back to town I think I’ll cover its exit until the avian flu dies down or someone takes it off my hands. Hate to risk it getting hurt by either my chickens or the bird netting, but hate to this it’s flying all over bringing back something that could kill my girls
Please don’t try to scare it off, it can’t survive on its own (as you’ve guessed) because it is not a wild bird. It won’t return to its owner, either, because it doesn't know how to.

If you don’t want your chickens to hurt it, please bring it inside. A box, cat carrier, dog crate, etc, all make good temporary cages for pigeons. I use puppy pads as bedding, though newspaper, shavings, and straw also work. If you are worried about other pets hurting the pigeon, put it in a bathroom and close the door.
644EE980-C8EE-4F98-A23B-27C4894A8FAB.jpeg
7FBD5BD5-A58B-40B0-8E7D-982EBDB73E20.jpeg
B30A88FD-EB8B-4882-8F09-4A6F363430EF.jpeg
F24DD25E-9ACD-44A7-BBEF-E5001F0E7144.jpeg

Here’s a Facebook group that is focused on rehoming pigeons: https://m.facebook.com/groups/Palomacy/

Back
Top Bottom