Pigeons egg

i went to feed my pugeons this morning and squab was barely moving..its been teal cold last couple days .right when parents quit sitting on him..he was so cold he felt stiff..i ran warm water over him and dryed him and wrapped a hand towel that i had warmed in microwave around him and put him in cage with heat lamp..gave him dropper of electrolytes that i had for my chucks and he is moving a lot more and trying to sit up now..what should i feed him..hes 2 and half weeks old. .someone told me puppy food softened..is that ok..he was jyst to cold..want to know what to feed him in case when i bring patents in she doesnt feed him

Last edited:
Normally they hatch in pairs and so keep each other warm but as a single chick in winter it must have been freezing.

Hokum Coco how much at a time did u feed squab..i made sure his crop looked full
That is the same gauge I use. There is a bald "Y" wrinkle at the bottom of the crop when that becomes predominate it is time to stop. The most important aspect in feeding is waiting until the crop is empty in my opinion. Feeding when the crop is ½ full can lead to problems and death to your squab. Your squab at 2½ weeks should get by with two hand feedings a day morning and evening (In a perfect world the squabs parents should resume feeding it's off spring with the male being the sole contributor). You had mentioned that the female is almost ready to start a second clutch of eggs. This happens when late maturing squabs begin to produce for the first time espeically.
That is the reason some fanciers separate the sexes in the fall. Also some fanciers limit the amount of clutches a pair raise to two to three rounds by placing dummy eggs in the nest to incubate. In another week more or less your squab should be able to eat on it's own. You should be encourage him to do so by providing water and seeds nearby in my opinion.

Last edited:
Oh ok thanjs.i hadnt of fake. Eggs..thanks so much..it has gotten easier as he has gotten stronger and is trying to stand now..i have found him over by the chick crumble like maybe he new it was food but i never seen him eat it..he pecks at my fingers

Last edited:
.it has gotten easier as he has gotten stronger and is trying to stand now. Make sure you check his crop closely before you hand feed him. I find it unusual that the parents would not continue to tend to his needs. As I mentioned before hand feeding when the crop is still half full can lead to an impacted crop and death in some cases. When the squab reaches 28 days old it should be nearly fully fledged and able to eat on it's own.

Back
Top Bottom