Pigeons or doves?

Chickensandmore445

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2017
MA
Hello guys! I wanted to know your input should i get pigeons or doves im looking for a more Sweeter nicer one both of them i heard good things about how have your times been with pigeons ro doves i would like to hear ;D

I have raised white doves for 6 years now, they are not tame, they will fly in effort to escape any time I get near them. I have thought about catching, but I don't want to pull out their feathers on accident. I would recommend pigeons, the seem to be a lot tamer, from my experience with the few encounters with them.

I've raised both. Pigeons are much more docile and tend to return home if they escape. Doves seem much less domesticated as a species. Doves are also harder to raise to adulthood, or at least were for me. I recall them often breaking their eggs, getting bound, getting sick/dying inexplicably, squabbling and so on. I loved working with the pigeons. My kids liked cuddling them. Some became pets, some squab. More meat on a pigeon than a dove.

I breed both.

For pet indoor birds I will always say the ring neck doves are the best. The are naturally tame and very gently. They are so sweet and very easy to take care of.. and they are very clean and tidy too. The only bad thing I would say is some people don't like the noise the males make... almost all the time!

Outdoors I would say pigeons are better. They are not going to be happy to be petted... and they won't stay and snooze on your hand or shoulder for long... but they are great to watch free flying and very easy to care for. They are more messy than the doves though, so you will need to clean them out a lot more... and they make a lot of feather dust.. which some people get allergic too... but this will not be a problem if you keep them clean and in a well ventilated and airy coop.

Back
Top Bottom