Pigs

Very interesting stuff for a chicken site. After my last batch of chickens are done I am picking up two tamworth feeders for the winter. I am keeping int the open section of my 3 sided barn, using just tposts, pallets and some gates that I have. Hopefully that will keep them in!

Barry

I keep various pets and livestock, and for electric fencing, I prefer aluminum wire, it doesnt rust and takes the expanding/contracting better than the galvanized wire. The galvanized is considerably cheaper, but doesnt hold up as long. Every animal even in the same species, will have different habits with the fence, I have dogs that have only ever seen others get "bit", and some that hit it semi regularly. One of my horses stands about 6 inches from it and flares his nostrils ( ive been told they can smell the electricity) before he attempts to reach across it. My mule avoids ANYTHING with small flapping pieces, im assuming because of the ribbon I tie to the fence. BUT, with all my animals, large and small, the electric fence corals them all!

Quote:
I use a big plastic drums cut in half. I don't know what their original purpose is, but they are like 50-gallon blue plastic drums. You can get them at an Ag store for about $30. One drum makes 2 dishes- 1 for feed and 1 for water. They work well and are really sturdy. They have to be to have withstood the assaults of 3 full grown pigs that I had.

Well I love all info you guys are giving me and the others learning about pigs.
I think im going to go with the T-post and the white insulators. Thats what I use for my horses and cows so I guess it will work for pigs. The T-post I found are about 4ft tall and when there in the ground there very hard to move. The only question I have now is how many strands should I have and how many inches apart?

Thanks,
RIRs

Quote:
We have 2 wires - the first one is only 6 inch from the ground to stop them rooting too close. The second one started about 8 inch but we lifted it to 1 foot as they grew bigger.
If you have cows too - you really need to join us on backyard herds - hopefully see you there
smile.png
big_smile.png
smile.png

Well Royd Wood ive tried makeing an account on BackyardHerds and it never sends the mail to me for the password.
I read the post on there as well but I can never post a comments or anyhting. I think im going to go with the black and white eletric fence for the pigs and seperate them how you guys said.

Thanks,
RIRs

I raised 2 pigs this past sumer built pen off back of garage they ate the sideing off it also dont build the pen to close to where you migth like to sit outside they tend to stink when it rains lol leanrd the hard way'

What do you guys think is the best feeders and waterers? Whats the best method to keep a nice mud pitt all through out the day without wasting to much water.

Thanks You All!!
RIRs

Quote:
I use a big plastic drums cut in half. I don't know what their original purpose is, but they are like 50-gallon blue plastic drums. You can get them at an Ag store for about $30. One drum makes 2 dishes- 1 for feed and 1 for water. They work well and are really sturdy. They have to be to have withstood the assaults of 3 full grown pigs that I had.

You're likely to be able to find these for less than half that price if you look on Craigslist or similar.

Back
Top Bottom