Pigs

Quote:
yes and no. 99% will respect the wire. It may be that the pigs weren't trained to the wire before trying to confine them by wire only. Some animals will run forward the first time or 2 that they get zapped. They learn to run fast and get what they want. To train a pig to wire, keep them inside a solid walled area such as a box stall or shed for a week; anything they can't see out of. Fasten an electric wire to 1 wall or all 4 with a charge going though it. When they contact the wire, they will learn to back away since they cannot see a way forward. They will soon learn to stay clear.

Something that is much easier to use then wire is electric string (not the rope). It is very light wt. easy to wind on a spool and move where ever needed and works well with the small step in posts. Comes in white or yellow so it is easier for animals to see it as well. I use electric gate handles on the ends and just hook it onto a perimeter fence for charge. The other nice thing about the string is that it is cheap compared to wire. Use three strands spaced about 7" apart and you shouldn't have much trouble with your pigs.

Well thanks for all the great info.
If you want to post pics go ahead, imma start making the fence this week.

Thanks,
RIRs

In regards to. the degree of rooting, I have two potbelly 'pigerators' that do their job so well I could easily move the pen twice a day and they would still have it completely torn up. They are extremely efficient rooters If I remember, next time I move the pen I will take a short 30 second video and post the link, it is truly amazing what they can do in such a short time.

Quote:
Its why I mentioned the dispositions . On rare occassions some individuals just seem born with feral natures . My uncle had a sow show up on his farm with a small , half grown , litter . No fence would hold them . They were hunted down like deer , shot , and butchered . In Knox Co , IL [ near my location ] there is a small population of escaped hogs now gone feral that are so far kept in check but not eradicated ; not so true of the sourthern states where they have become a serious problem for farmers , treasured sport for hunters .

Ohh I dont need no 300lb pig running around with other ones. I am right next to a big state road thats all I need now..

Thanks,
RIRs

I have 3 York/Spotted PC crosses that are about 40lbs each. I followed the advice I got on BH, and I'm very thankful for it.

I used 4 combination panels (about $20 each at Lowe's), 4x4s in the corners, and I ran one hot wire around the bottom of the inside, about 7" off the ground. I charge that 64' of wire with a 30 mile Parmak battery charger I got from Jeffers, and let me just say, it makes my 175lb 18 yr old jump sky high when he touches it, but the pigs will lean on it and just twitch.

After seeing that, I doubt I will ever try to contain pigs with just hot wires.

I made my pen the way I did so it was "portable" as we are using them to clear some of our wooded property.

Last edited:
I got a pig to eat but fell in love with him, now he's my baby and runs the whole property never tryes to break the fences
38176_random_018.jpg

Last edited:
Hahaha.... I love it! That's raising pigs right in a nutshell. I had a hard time sending mine to the processor, they literally are like dogs... Great pic!

Back
Top Bottom