Pilgrim Geese thread

So our girls are continuing to lay for us. The first of the eggs have been cooking for about a week and we do have some development starting in them. I am happy we have fertility our first breeding season. Since we won't be selling eggs this season though, I wish one of my girls would go broody just to see if she would hatch some on her own. But right now they're just laying and leaving.

So our girls are continuing to lay for us. The first of the eggs have been cooking for about a week and we do have some development starting in them. I am happy we have fertility our first breeding season. Since we won't be selling eggs this season though, I wish one of my girls would go broody just to see if she would hatch some on her own. But right now they're just laying and leaving.
Leave the eggs and let them gather a clutch you will probably get a broody.

I started to but with the cooler weather we had I was afraid they would go bad before they start sitting.  How many do they normally lay before they start sitting?  The Canada Geese lay 4 every year.  Are most geese about the same?

I have seen geese sit on 20 or more eggs, but I wouldn't recommend letting her have more than she can comfortably cover.

I keep hearing that Pilgrims won't lay fertile eggs their first season. But obviously that isn't 100% true since we have fertile eggs. So since this is our first year, will the yearling geese sit? And will they do it well? I have also been told by one person that their geese don't have good results with hatches. We've put a big plastic dog house on their island and they are laying inside it. They bury the eggs in the mixture of pine shavings, pine straw and wheat straw that I filled it with. I just don't want to waste potentially good eggs if they never sit. Of course they never lay while we're there to see so we don't know which girl is laying in there or if both of them are. If those of you with more experience with Pilgrims think I can leave a few eggs for them to sit on and that they will sit, I'll risk leaving the next half dozen eggs or so.

They have settled on being a trio instead of two pairs. I still feel bad for the bachelor. lol.

I started to but with the cooler weather we had I was afraid they would go bad before they start sitting. How many do they normally lay before they start sitting? The Canada Geese lay 4 every year. Are most geese about the same?
The Canada goose who nest in the river below our home sat on 7 last year and hatched 6. she has a little island she nest on every year. last year they hit the jack pot with goslings sometimes the nest gets washed away.

I'd let them get at least 8-10 I'm thinking 8-9 is a happy amount for geese seems to work for mine anyway.

We were just talking about it and have decided to leave well enough alone for 1 week. That may give her enough time to lay the number of eggs that will trigger het to sit on them. And after a week if she still isn't sitting they should still be ok to put in the incubator.

Last edited:
We have a lone goose, she survived a predator attack a year ago, her mate and her near hatching nest did not, she is tough, she lost a good share of her beak but is fine. Would love to get some hatching eggs to provide her some company!

We have a lone goose, she survived a predator attack a year ago, her mate and her near hatching nest did not, she is tough, she lost a good share of her beak but is fine. Would love to get some hatching eggs to provide her some company!

I hope you fixed the security problem that got the rest of the flock.. scroll down from here to the Buy Sell Trade section you may find hatching eggs on there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom