Pilgrim Geese thread

they are going great getting a bit more friendly but still havent got them out of the temporary fence we havent bought a fence yet
thumbsup.gif
happy to hear it.

It's a nice river not very wide dh says 40'across ds says 30' across lol  :idunno but perfect for these mountains I'm glad to said your river wasn't close either. I actually got my first ducks out of our river. Muscovy's still have 1 he is 11 yrs old.

We have 5.5 acres mostly billy goat land .
Sounds beautiful. I absolutely love the mountains! Do you free range your ducks? I bet the predators there are much bigger than what we deal with here! I think the biggest land predator would be coyote. We hear them "screaming" off in the distance. Never seen one close though. We also have eagles. Really feisty eagles. Lol

Last edited:
Sounds beautiful. I absolutely love the mountains! Do you free range your ducks? I bet the predators there are much bigger than what we deal with here! I think the biggest land predator would be coyote. We hear them "screaming" off in the distance. Never seen one close though. We also have eagles. Really feisty eagles. Lol
I have only seen 2 eagles around here but I am sure we have more but we are over run with hawks Bear, coyote, raccoon, fox ,weasel, mink to name a few lol mine free range on a half acre fenced with no climb horse fence to keep the bears out, if I am going to be outside for any length of time I open the gate and let any who want out for a while. We also have the occasional stray dog which are as bad as any wild predator.

Your eagles sound like our hawks. I ended up putting up predator tape to keep them out after a Red tail got on of my bantam hens.

Minnesota from all pic I have seen has some pretty country too, way to cold for this southern gal though ya'll are some really hardy folks including your flocks.
smile.png

I have only seen 2 eagles around here but I am sure we have more but we are over run with hawks  Bear, coyote, raccoon, fox ,weasel, mink to name a few lol mine free range on a half acre fenced with no climb horse fence to keep the bears out, if I am going to be outside for any length of time I open the gate and let any who want out for a while. We also have the occasional stray dog which are as bad as any wild predator.

Your eagles sound like our hawks. I ended up putting up predator tape to keep them out after a Red tail got on of my bantam hens.

Minnesota from all pic I have seen has some pretty country too, way to cold for this southern gal though ya'll are some really hardy folks including your flocks. :)
That's a lot of predators! At least in this part of Minnesota we don't have to deal with bear!

Here's a little patch of Minnesota. It's pretty green here now. Good eating for the ducklings and goslings.
I'm not all that hearty. I freeze in the winter! Hopefully the ducks and geese do better than me! Lol

Last edited:
Woohoo! I got my goslings at long last! There's just one problem... I filled out my order with hatchery choice, and now I don't know which ones are the pilgrims... Maybe you guys can help?

The breed could be anything from this page: https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productlist.a5w?cat=1022
I'd be satisfied with just knowing which ones are and aren't Pilgrims, but if you recognize the other breeds, I'd be happy to know.

Gosling #1 - Pink/Pink

Gosling #2 - Pink/Green

Gosling #3 - Green/Green

Gosling #4 - Green/Blue

Gosling #5 - Blue/Blue

Gosling #6 - Blue/Pink

Gosling #7 - No Color

And don't worry--I made sure they wouldn't pick at their tags. They gave them a few inquisitive tugs, but lost interest when they realized it wasn't food. I only plan on the strings being temporary, anyway--just until I can figure out who is what.

Woohoo! I got my goslings at long last! There's just one problem... I filled out my order with hatchery choice, and now I don't know which ones are the pilgrims... Maybe you guys can help? The breed could be anything from this page: https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productlist.a5w?cat=1022 I'd be satisfied with just knowing which ones are and aren't Pilgrims, but if you recognize the other breeds, I'd be happy to know. Gosling #1 - Pink/Pink [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Gosling #2 - Pink/Green [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Gosling #3 - Green/Green [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Gosling #4 - Green/Blue [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Gosling #5 - Blue/Blue [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Gosling #6 - Blue/Pink Gosling #7 - No Color And don't worry--I made sure they wouldn't pick at their tags. They gave them a few inquisitive tugs, but lost interest when they realized it wasn't food. I only plan on the strings being temporary, anyway--just until I can figure out who is what.
Gonna guess embden on #4 (solid yellow=white). I don't see any super long necks or knobs on heads & no tufts...so that knocks out tufteds, chinese & african. They rarely include sebbies because they are so expensive, so not likely any sebbies. The rest would be toulousse, & pilgrim. I don't see any with buff coloring either.

#2 looks like a male pilgrim to me. He looks alot like my little guys, maybe just a tad lighter. As for the rest no clue. Lol but oh my word they are adorable!!!

Back
Top Bottom