Pilgrim Geese thread

If they are pilgrims, the white one would be the gander (male). Pilgrim ganders are mostly white with a little gray. Mine is gray at the end of his tail and wing feathers and otherwise entirely white. The females are mostly gray. It is hard to tell with your photo because of the sunlight.

I hear from a hatchery that the fertility of this breed is very low(55%) is this true or is it different for everyone?

I hear from a hatchery that the fertility of this breed is very low(55%) is this true or is it different for everyone?
I heard it's low but the % is different on everyone, (according to people that breed them) Many have to do with to much inbreeding. That's the reason why i got mine from different lines. I have one female two males. Which all 3 suppose to be from different lines

I'm planning on breeding her with one of them and the females from this pair I will cross them with the other male.
To increase fertility if inbreeding was the problem.

Last edited:
Oscar and Ollie have been perfecting their "honk" the last couple weeks and I just have to say, it's hilarious! At first it would happen accidentally and randomly. Now, when they here my voice from inside the kitchen they will both honk and come running! I love their honking. I hope our neighbors do too! Lol

Will/Should a goose breed with one of the ganders that she has hatched?(if the two of them are left alone)

Thanks

p.s. let me explain why I ask.
3 weeks ago I found my gander dead, lying streched outside their coup. He had no fight marks or blood anywhere on his body. Before his death he attacked 2 of the 3 goslings that hatched for first time. He (and my goose) where nearly one year old but happily where succesful breeding.
As of the little goslings, I believe that maybe where sick so my gander kept them away or he killed them, but not on purpose or because he was jealous(?).
I can't think of any reason why he died except one with a small possibility. By the time my goose sat on her eggs he became very offensive. When the goslings hatched I couldn't even go alone to feed them or change their water. He was so overprotective with the babies( thats why I don't believe he killed them without at least a serious reason). So I give a very small (but likely) chance of him engaging with a snake in order to defend his goose and the last gosling. The snake bit him with venom and left (thats why he had no fight marks). Even after 3 weeks I cannot believe he is dead! I got them a year ago as small goslings and I started my "geese experience" with them. I thought that this year they would be together as adults with their family honking all day long.

Does anyone know what other reason may have caused his death?

Both of them:

The goose and the gosling:

Last edited:
Will/Should a goose breed with one of the ganders that she has hatched?(if the two of them are left alone)

Thanks

p.s. let me explain why I ask.
3 weeks ago I found my gander dead, lying streched outside their coup. He had no fight marks or blood anywhere on his body. Before his death he attacked 2 of the 3 goslings that hatched for first time. He (and my goose) where nearly one year old but happily where succesful breeding.
As of the little goslings, I believe that maybe where sick so my gander kept them away or he killed them, but not on purpose or because he was jealous(?).
I can't think of any reason why he died except one with a small possibility. By the time my goose sat on her eggs he became very offensive. When the goslings hatched I couldn't even go alone to feed them or change their water. He was so overprotective with the babies( thats why I don't believe he killed them without at least a serious reason). So I give a very small (but likely) chance of him engaging with a snake in order to defend his goose and the last gosling. The snake bit him with venom and left (thats why he had no fight marks). Even after 3 weeks I cannot believe he is dead! I got them a year ago as small goslings and I started my "geese experience" with them. I thought that this year they would be together as adults with their family honking all day long.

Does anyone know what other reason may have caused his death?

Both of them:

The goose and the gosling:
Well I don't know why he kill them or why he died. But you can breed the gander with your goose (mom). Most likely if you got your original pair from a hatchery were brother sister and still breed good. Have you seen metzer hatchety video where all the geese are together? .

Back
Top Bottom