Songster
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
Piedmont of NC
I've been reading fellow BYC'ers talk about what to put
in the run. Me being so smart:confused:, didn't think I had anything
to worry about. I had thrown mulched leaves, sandy soil
from the garden...... But we've had sooo much rain, the frequently
walked on areas (by humans) are just a mess.
Do you guys think if I went to the local seed and feed (where I get my
feed) and get some? mulch to spread around, pine bark nuggets would
be ok?
Some talk of cleaning out the run, but this hasn't been something I've had
to do, at least not yet, since they do most of their business while asleep.
I don't want to use straw because that is what's in the nesting boxes, I don't
want the girls to get confused!
I would appreciated any advice!

Quote:
They won't get confused by using straw in the run. I have straw in nesting boxes and on the coop floor and I use it in front of the man door, due to the fact we ran out of sand. I find that sand is the best to use in the run. Rack it and go.

I tried pine bark nuggets in our run and hated it. First of all, it was impossible to clean. There's just no way to get poop out without removing the nuggets themselves. Secondly, the nuggets retained moisture which made thing smelly. Finally, several of our chickens developed abrasions on the bottom of their feet (and got infections in those abrasions) when I had the nuggets in there.

It was an awful job, but I got rid of the nuggets and replaced with sand. I love the sand! It drains beautifully, doesn't retain moisture, and it's easy to clean. I use a reptile litter scoop taped to a long handle. Every day I go around and scoop out the most noticeable droppings, then rake the sand over.

Quote:
Gee, I don't know. I just went to Lowe's and bought sand by the bag. The instructions on the back of the bag tells you how many bags you need to buy to get the coverage you want.

I originally put down enough sand for only about 2 inches depth but have since increased it to 3 to 4 inches in a couple of places in the run that tend to get wet when we get deep soaking rains. The water leeches in from outside the covered run.

Back
Top Bottom