Pine needle branches

desielducks

Songster
Jun 8, 2015
the place where I work we are selling Christmas trees. As you can imagine we have several left over branches. I was wondering if they’d be okay to put in our coop to kind of help hold in heat. Our coop is made from pallets and some spaces still have some gaps that let some heat out and cold air in. Thanks!

Have no Idea how the branches are going to hold heat. Do you heat your coop???
If your coop is drafty, then maybe the branches would deflect the draft/breeze/wind. There are numerous ways to stop drafts. It is important to stop drafts, but not interfere with proper ventilation.
No location in your profile, so I'm not sure what your weather in your area is like.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I think the green needles, but not the branches themselves, would be excellent coop litter. I have done it with pine beetles in pens before and really liked the results. It composted so nicely, and keeps the smell way down.

How did it do that?
Have had to cut chunks of it off my dogs feet.

He's had pine sap on him before (he loves rummaging through the brush) so I thought nothing of it. This time, he apparently tried to scratch it off his head and/or our other dog tried to lick/gnaw it off, and tore off a whole patch of hair and it started seeping. Because he kept scratching at it as it scabbed, I had to make a little headwrap to protect the area. He's healed up now but next time I'll clip it off as soon as I notice it.

He's had pine sap on him before (he loves rummaging through the brush) so I thought nothing of it. This time, he apparently tried to scratch it off his head and/or our other dog tried to lick/gnaw it off, and tore off a whole patch of hair and it started seeping. Because he kept scratching at it as it scabbed, I had to make a little headwrap to protect the area. He's healed up now but next time I'll clip it off as soon as I notice it.
OyVey!! Yeah, I cut it off as soon as I find it, then usually have to clean my hand off with turpentine:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom