Pine needle branches

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by desielducks, Dec 7, 2018 at 5:47 PM.

1. desielducks

desielducks Songster

Jun 8, 2015
    the place where I work we are selling Christmas trees. As you can imagine we have several left over branches. I was wondering if they’d be okay to put in our coop to kind of help hold in heat. Our coop is made from pallets and some spaces still have some gaps that let some heat out and cold air in. Thanks!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Have no Idea how the branches are going to hold heat. Do you heat your coop???
    If your coop is drafty, then maybe the branches would deflect the draft/breeze/wind. There are numerous ways to stop drafts. It is important to stop drafts, but not interfere with proper ventilation.
    No location in your profile, so I'm not sure what your weather in your area is like.
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

blackdog043 likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What rich said^^^

I would avoid pine branches due to the sticky sap.

cavemanrich likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Pick up some vapour barrier plastic and stuff the holes with straw or cover with cardboard?...:idunno

5. jreardon1918

jreardon1918 Songster

Jul 13, 2016
    Southeast, MA
    My Coop
    I would love to have a source like that to throw in the run. It would add variety for what now is mostly ranked leaves. But I agree not for the inside of the coop.

ShannonR likes this.
  6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    After my dog ripped off a patch of his scalp due to pine sap, I have to agree with this as well.

cavemanrich likes this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How did it do that?
    Have had to cut chunks of it off my dogs feet.

cavemanrich and chickens really like this.
  8. ShannonR

ShannonR Songster

Sep 17, 2015
    northern California
    I think the green needles, but not the branches themselves, would be excellent coop litter. I have done it with pine beetles in pens before and really liked the results. It composted so nicely, and keeps the smell way down.

9. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    He's had pine sap on him before (he loves rummaging through the brush) so I thought nothing of it. This time, he apparently tried to scratch it off his head and/or our other dog tried to lick/gnaw it off, and tore off a whole patch of hair and it started seeping. Because he kept scratching at it as it scabbed, I had to make a little headwrap to protect the area. He's healed up now but next time I'll clip it off as soon as I notice it.

cavemanrich likes this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    OyVey!! Yeah, I cut it off as soon as I find it, then usually have to clean my hand off with turpentine:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 5:16 PM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: