Pine shavings in RUN AREA

cajunlizz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana
We hauled sand in our run area a couple of months back . BUT we have had alot of rain and we have a few spots with standing water from chickens digging their little holes to DUST IN . Was wondering if adding pine shavings would help the matter or make things worse ? Does pine shavings STINK if it gets wet from rain?

What do ya'll suggest ?

Quote:
well , I have pine shaving totally in the COOP and nesting boxes . JUST have never put any in the RUN AREA . but its so damp was hoping to have suggestions .

I mentioned this to DH looks like we need to bring in more sand . FOR SURE AGAIN before the winter rainy season starts . I hate walking in SLUSH , so manybe we might add more sand and pine shavings on top . Wonder what the pine will do with POOP and wet from rain ?????

HOW is the straw working for you ? I was also told to UNROLL bales haw in the area during the wintertime and it gives flock warmth thru out .

Last edited:
Pine shavings and poo mixed together and then wet do have an unpleasant odor. I put down about 6 inches of sand in the run but have pine shavings inside the little coop. I left the window open one night and it rained in--quite stinky.

how about a pine mulch?
From experience soaking wet pine shavings dont dry out all that well. And mixed with the chicken poop wont smell like "pine" for long. Maybe put a cover over the run as well? Even just a section of it being covered might help some

Back
Top Bottom