Pine shavings stuck in throat. Help!!!

Ashleygc470

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2019
Central Texas
I have a 3 week old Ohiki (Japanese Long Tail Bantam) who had partially swallowed some Pine Shavings. I removed what I could see with a bright flashlight. She was cold, my kid moved the chick cage away from the heat lamp on accident. Found it hours later. I wiped a thin layer of crust from her eyes. I gave her water with a kid medicine syringe, she was very thirsty. I wrapped her in dish towels that I put in the microwave for 1 min. She had a phase for about 10 minutes of gasping every 10 seconds or so. She is now pretty quiet and seems to be sleeping. She would occasionally purr-chirp. What else can I do for her? I have her isolated in a small box under the heat lamp. Help!! I love this little darling and was pretty expensive. Thanks!

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
You are lucky to have found her in time. I would concentrate on getting her to drink water, and offer some wet food, such as moistened chick feed, some egg, and possibly a dab of plain yogurt to move it on through the crop and digestive tract. You can massage the crop a little to help. A vet would be helpful if the shavings do not move out of the crop.

Ashleygc470

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2019
Central Texas
Thank you so much!! She just drooped when I tried to stand her up. I laid her in the box on top of a dish towel and back under the heat lamp. I put small dishes for food and water.
Within 5 minutes she is back to her normal self!! She's moving a little slower and a little uneasy on her feet, but she looks 90% back to normal!! I am so so happy. Im pretty sure she's going to make it! We hatched her from a batch that was shipped and went thru 2 failed incubators and I was annoyed that my mom wouldn't let me throw them out! But she made it! Sole survivor.
She was in with some Ameraucana and Barnavelder chicks that are a bit bigger than her. I will keep her isolated for 24 hours. To get her strength back and get good rest. Then I'll add 1 Bantam chick that is slightly smaller than her. She is the toughest chick in the history of forever!! Her name is Hope. I was a bit more confident in her making it, simply because of her incubation history. I was blown TF away at how fast she recovered. Im just hoping this chick is a girl cuz we only have 1 other Ohiki, who is a Roo. Ohikis just don't ship well. What should I name it if he turns out to be a Roo? I'm thinking Rambo.... she's got some good genes!!

Top Bottom