Pine shavings stuck in throat. Help!!!

Ashleygc470

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2019
Central Texas
I have a 3 week old Ohiki (Japanese Long Tail Bantam) who had partially swallowed some Pine Shavings. I removed what I could see with a bright flashlight. She was cold, my kid moved the chick cage away from the heat lamp on accident. Found it hours later. I wiped a thin layer of crust from her eyes. I gave her water with a kid medicine syringe, she was very thirsty. I wrapped her in dish towels that I put in the microwave for 1 min. She had a phase for about 10 minutes of gasping every 10 seconds or so. She is now pretty quiet and seems to be sleeping. She would occasionally purr-chirp. What else can I do for her? I have her isolated in a small box under the heat lamp. Help!! I love this little darling and was pretty expensive. Thanks!

You are lucky to have found her in time. I would concentrate on getting her to drink water, and offer some wet food, such as moistened chick feed, some egg, and possibly a dab of plain yogurt to move it on through the crop and digestive tract. You can massage the crop a little to help. A vet would be helpful if the shavings do not move out of the crop.

Thank you so much!! She just drooped when I tried to stand her up. I laid her in the box on top of a dish towel and back under the heat lamp. I put small dishes for food and water.
Within 5 minutes she is back to her normal self!! She's moving a little slower and a little uneasy on her feet, but she looks 90% back to normal!! I am so so happy. Im pretty sure she's going to make it! We hatched her from a batch that was shipped and went thru 2 failed incubators and I was annoyed that my mom wouldn't let me throw them out! But she made it! Sole survivor.
She was in with some Ameraucana and Barnavelder chicks that are a bit bigger than her. I will keep her isolated for 24 hours. To get her strength back and get good rest. Then I'll add 1 Bantam chick that is slightly smaller than her. She is the toughest chick in the history of forever!! Her name is Hope. I was a bit more confident in her making it, simply because of her incubation history. I was blown TF away at how fast she recovered. Im just hoping this chick is a girl cuz we only have 1 other Ohiki, who is a Roo. Ohikis just don't ship well. What should I name it if he turns out to be a Roo? I'm thinking Rambo.... she's got some good genes!!

Back
Top Bottom