Chick has air and “jell” in puffy crop

I’ve kept her on chick starter, plus buttermilk and yogurt, and grit with probiotics. I’ve also added apple cider vinegar and polyvisol vitamins to her water. She gets garlic and oregano occasionally. I’ve massaged her crop daily and read all the articles and doesn’t seem like it’s anything “normally seen”.

She does seem to be getting a little better. I’m genuinely surprised she’s made it this long. She’s still got a great appetite although things are obviously not working 100% because she’s not growing as quickly as the others her age.

I’m gonna keep trying everything as long as she’s still happy and popping around like this, and hope that it keeps getting better even if it’s a tiny bit at a time. Fingers crossed.

Any update on this? I think I’m experiencing the same issue with my 4 week old. Just a giant “bubble” on her chest. Eating and perfectly active. Only difference is her poop is mostly water with some chunks in it. Very concerned as the symptoms don’t align with sour or impacted crop. I’ve scoured the internet to no avail. This is the closest post I’ve found!

If the chick isn't behaving sickly, don't worry about watery poop. Some chickens have watery poop as a default state. I had a hen years ago that had watery splorts (it made a loud "splort" sound!) from day one, and lived until age eight without ever being sick a single day.

If the chick isn't behaving sickly, don't worry about watery poop. Some chickens have watery poop as a default state. I had a hen years ago that had watery splorts (it made a loud "splort" sound!) from day one, and lived until age eight without ever being sick a single day.
Thank you! This certainly relieves some of my concern. It’s our first hen-hatched chick so I’m overly invested. Three others hatched under a different hen a couple weeks ago and they have very normal crops. We had 30 store-bought chicks several months ago and none of them had this jiggly chest. Praying it’ll go away and return to normal.

I have seen chicks get this sort of crop issues because of two things: 1. eating shavings. 2. eating stink ants ( small black nonstinging army ants).
Not sure if that helps, but it is why I refuse to use shavings as bedding.

I have seen chicks get this sort of crop issues because of two things: 1. eating shavings. 2. eating stink ants ( small black nonstinging army ants).
Not sure if that helps, but it is why I refuse to use shavings as bedding.
I read something about the shavings and thought that could be the culprit. She’s a little piggy; her name is “Piglet” and her momma’s name is “Piggy” lol, so I wouldn’t be surprised if she ingested shavings.
In your experience, how did those chicks turn out? Did they survive? Did you need to massage/clear their crops? I’ve tried massaging. She isn’t fond of the oil-soaked bread. I don’t want to “burp” her as I’m afraid she’ll aspirate.

I read something about the shavings and thought that could be the culprit. She’s a little piggy; her name is “Piglet” and her momma’s name is “Piggy” lol, so I wouldn’t be surprised if she ingested shavings.
In your experience, how did those chicks turn out? Did they survive? Did you need to massage/clear their crops? I’ve tried massaging. She isn’t fond of the oil-soaked bread. I don’t want to “burp” her as I’m afraid she’ll aspirate.
The ones I syringed oil into mostly made it, especially after massage and hanging "induced upchuck". Now we use paper(shredded not too small), ground cobs or lawn mowings(never any chemicals added) for litter. have to keep closer eye on " top up time" but haven't had any more issues since.

Here are photos of her. It doesn’t seem AS large since I’ve been trying to massage it. Still looks very different from all the other chicks we’ve had. Also including what her poop looks like. Not my photo but comparable to hers (essentially just water with brown chunks- I do give her dry mealworms) Based on the photos, am I overreacting or are my concerns legitimate?

Attachments

• 8C48D470-073B-44D0-B419-C8AC81CD10D6.jpeg
    8C48D470-073B-44D0-B419-C8AC81CD10D6.jpeg
    550.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 055D08B3-841A-478F-A906-4CAF79D1E6F7.jpeg
    055D08B3-841A-478F-A906-4CAF79D1E6F7.jpeg
    563.5 KB · Views: 7
  • F45571DB-6A16-4877-A5C7-94732A8439C9.jpeg
    F45571DB-6A16-4877-A5C7-94732A8439C9.jpeg
    592.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 4F250A53-ADE7-4265-9259-7EB7B39F120D.jpeg
    4F250A53-ADE7-4265-9259-7EB7B39F120D.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 6
  • D336B62C-00A0-4CA9-A59F-DC4B0EFEABE0.jpeg
    D336B62C-00A0-4CA9-A59F-DC4B0EFEABE0.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 7
Here are photos of her. It doesn’t seem AS large since I’ve been trying to massage it. Still looks very different from all the other chicks we’ve had. Also including what her poop looks like. Not my photo but comparable to hers (essentially just water with brown chunks- I do give her dry mealworms) Based on the photos, am I overreacting or are my concerns legitimate?
Might be worth noting that her mother is a golden laced Cochin and her father is an olive egger.

You might try taking her off treats til things are cleared up, if she is on starterfeed that should be good enough for nutrition. maybe add some finely snipped grass besides.

Back
Top Bottom