Pinless Peeper as Possible Management Tool for Aggressive Roosters

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
Today I visited with a gal I hang with and got an introduction to her chickens. Her main rooster 007 is prone to attacking male humans. For some reason he did not go after me even though he did give subtle ques that he considered be a threat, Taking that into consideration and the frequent discussions on aggressive roosters, it got me thinking about a potential approach that could be tested by people on this site with aggressive roosters. Maybe using pinless peepers typically used to control chicken on chicken (hens mostly) aggression could help manage the aggression exhibited by some roosters against people.

Consider trying before giving it a chance before attacking the idea. My experience managing roosters is at least comparable to anyone here so this not something coming from totally off the realm of possible.

Today I visited with a gal I hang with and got an introduction to her chickens. Her main rooster 007 is prone to attacking male humans. For some reason he did not go after me even though he did give subtle ques that he considered be a threat, Taking that into consideration and the frequent discussions on aggressive roosters, it got me thinking about a potential approach that could be tested by people on this site with aggressive roosters. Maybe using pinless peepers typically used to control chicken on chicken (hens mostly) aggression could help manage the aggression exhibited by some roosters against people.

Consider trying before giving it a chance before attacking the idea. My experience managing roosters is at least comparable to anyone here so this not something coming from totally off the realm of possible.
Interesting. Some people don't want to pass along the aggressive rooster's genes, though. Or would pinless peepers also qualify as birth control? 🤔

A given bird being aggressive or not can also be environmental. I can take just about any rooster and make him aggressive. Unfortunately, my approach to achieve that has many of the same attributes used in general care by many backyard poultry keepers.

Additionally, most flocks are dead end where they will leave no decedents beyond a small number of generations.

Given that the aggressive roosters more often than not orient themselves for binocular vision during the actual attacks on people, my hypothesis is that the pinless peeper will block the roosters vision if and when he orients for an attack. The pinless peeper is designed to obstruct forward vision on the hens when they are prone to peck at each other suppressing the behavior so why would it not work on a rooster going after a human?

I've used them on roosters, but haven't tried for human aggressive roosters. Typically if I get a rooster aggressive roosters("none game"), & I put blinders on them, they bust them out of them somehow.

They adjust to the peepers pretty quickly. So, the attacker will probably keep trying anyway.

I've used them on roosters, but haven't tried for human aggressive roosters. Typically if I get a rooster aggressive roosters("none game"), & I put blinders on them, they bust them out of them somehow.

They adjust to the peepers pretty quickly. So, the attacker will probably keep trying anyway.
More people need to try and report. Can't base things on "probably's" from one person.

Given that the aggressive roosters more often than not orient themselves for binocular vision during the actual attacks on people, my hypothesis is that the pinless peeper will block the roosters vision if and when he orients for an attack. The pinless peeper is designed to obstruct forward vision on the hens when they are prone to peck at each other suppressing the behavior so why would it not work on a rooster going after a human?
What is a pinless peeper?

What is a pinless peeper?
They look like this.
20200621_152527.jpg

Back
Top Bottom