Pinless Peeper/Poultry Blinders?

OK my husband and I just attempted to put peepers on our problem girl. We are afraid we are gonna hurt her nostrils! She has very narrow slits for nostrils as it is and we are unsure about getting the peeper in the holes. HELP!

Quote:
I use them on my bantam booteds (just one) the key is the heat the peeper in hot water to get it softer and have some oone hold the bird still, it looks like it won't work but it does, also try to get it in the front of the nostral the hole is bigger

Last edited:
Ok well it's on her! She still looks like she's getting used to having it on her face but the good news is, everyone has mellowed out without her going after them! She is still learning to maneuver from the perch so we'll see what happens.
fl.gif

I have some game hens- i wonder will these peepers calm them down a little when I want to introduce a new hen to the flock- They are a little meaner than some of the larger breeds and takes them longer to settle down .

Quote:
Did you ever try these on your game hens? How did it go?

My backstory: We started off with two game hens last summer, but lost one of them to the heat about a month ago. The remaining game hen, Connie, is extremely aggressive with the two easter eggers we bought to be her new "sisters" even though they are much bigger than she is. Everyone gets along fine when they are free ranging, but Connie flat out attacks them when we don't keep them physically separated in the coop. Unfortunately, we are in an urban neighborhood with lots of predators, so we can only let them free range when we are supervising them. We have had the new hens for a week now, and we aren't any closer to being able to leave everyone in the coop together. Am I being impatient, or would the pinless peepers be a good idea for the game hen?

Can we just put them on Roosters?
I have the prettiest (and in my eyes most perfect conformed and feathrd girl) I cannot show because the rooster pulled her head feathers off while breeding causing red skin to show and then the hens may have helped it along. I have seen roosters not hld onto the head while mating. I have gotten rid of the worst offender. Should I put it on my roosters? Will it help?

I see Randall Burkey has them in a 100 pkg for under 20.00. These ARE the correct ones right? http://www.randallburkey.com/PIN-LESS-PEEPERS-100-PKG/productinfo/10097/

Last edited:
I use them, and found them cheapest at nationalband.com.

I use them on banties and standard breeds, fit fine on both.

Installation is a two-person 4-handed undertaking. Warming them up in hot water makes it much easier.

Just be sure to put them on correctly - the curved "bridge" part of the peepers goes down, over the beak. They fit neatly into the nostrils.

I have removed and reinstalled, no problem. The same peepers can even be re-used.

I prefer the pinless kind as they don't require a tool and are pretty easy-on, easy-off.

Good luck!

I have had a problem with one of my ten hens pecking the butts of the others bloody. Really gross. The pecking happens in the morning after the feed is available and before they get their 3-5 hours of free-ranging time in the backyard.

I'd just like to say thanks to everyone for their advice in this thread.

The offending hen, Maude, had been relegated to the dog crate for the past few day. Got the peepers, put one in hot water, and it was easy peesy to put it on her as my daughter held her.

101238_img_20111220_191854.jpg

She seems quite ashamed. (As she should be.) And embarrassed. The other hens seem to be laughing a bit.

Access to the hanging heated waterer seems to be fine. A bit harder for the feed, but there's lots spilled on the floor below and since she was also pecking the other's heads at the feeder I think she'll have to deal with her own karmic rebound for a while.

So far, no more butt pecking. And since she was in the dog crate for a few days, I can now see new feathers growing in on the other ladies.

And my universe is now back in order...

Back
Top Bottom