Pinless Peepers Really Work! Stopped Chick Bullying!

LizzzyJo

Show me the data 👩🏼‍🔬
5 Years
Dec 14, 2018
The Great Black Swamp, Ohio
I was very skeptical of these goofy things, but wow are they amazing! After a failed incorporation attempt post 2 weeks of look-don't-touch, I put my new babies back into their fenced area and ordered some pinless peepers for my naughty hens. While putting them on was a ridiculous 20 minutes, I ended up getting them on without (obvious) pain to the birds and without the special pliers. I just heated them up in water - as I read on here. I did it by myself and without too much struggle. 5 days out and the babies are happily unharmed and the bullies have forgotten they're wearing them! Wonderful!

Has anyone else had successes or failures with these?

Is there anything that I should watch out for? How long should I keep them on?
IMG_0559.jpeg
IMG_0562.jpeg
IMG_0560.jpeg

I only left mine on for about 2 weeks. They worked great the first few days but once they got the hang of them they went right back to their ways even with them. They would look sideways to find who they wanted to peck and then peck her until they finally got a good one.

I only left mine on for about 2 weeks. They worked great the first few days but once they got the hang of them they went right back to their ways even with them. They would look sideways to find who they wanted to peck and then peck her until they finally got a good one.
Oh no! I was worried about that! I will maintain vigilance. Thanks for the info!

I bought pinless peepers for my bullys too, just got them in the mail. Can't wait to try them and hear how long they should stay on. Will give a few weeks a try, like was suggested

At the end of week 1 the babies are healthy - no pecks or scrapes. I have seen attempts at pecking go down significantly as the bullies seem to have learned that they can't seal the deal. I have no idea what will happen when the peepers fall off, but for now they are working wonders. I hope they stay on until the babies 'grow a pair' and begin to defend themselves.

At the end of week 1 the babies are healthy - no pecks or scrapes. I have seen attempts at pecking go down significantly as the bullies seem to have learned that they can't seal the deal. I have no idea what will happen when the peepers fall off, but for now they are working wonders. I hope they stay on until the babies 'grow a pair' and begin to defend themselves.
When you say "babies" are you talking pretty young hens or is it just an affectionate name? I am wondering if you can mixed ages/sizes of hens if the old snitches have peepers on??

When you say "babies" are you talking pretty young hens or is it just an affectionate name? I am wondering if you can mixed ages/sizes of hens if the old snitches have peepers on??
Mine are mixed ages. I only have one coop and run, so everyone is together after the 2 week period of look-dont-touch with 6 week olds. These peepers are still on and everyone is happy and healthy. Total win. Hands down awesomeness.

Back
Top Bottom