Pioneer Woman cooks

oh ho!! I LOOVVEEE this lady!! and MAN can she cook! Fantastically delish recipes ~ !!
~Red
ps ~ I still say cobbler is better than a crumble.....hehehehehe

I'm one who reads cookbooks like most people read novels, and I want to see the dish, not just read the ingredients and cooking instructions, so for me, just reading one of her recipes is half the fun, even if it's a recipe I wouldn't cook. Let's face it, sometimes cooking can be a chore, so why not have fun!

Oh, and I totally agree on the cobbler/crumble issue. There's nothing like a bowl of hot, homemade peach cobbler right out of the oven with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Talk about comfort food! LOL

Right now, she's doing a poll on favorite pies!

Possumpoint, do you have any ideas for a potluck. We have a get together on Sunday. This will be outside, kids will be carving pumpkins. I'd like to bring something fallish. Thanks!!

have you ever tried pumpkin soup? it's so VERY fall-ish, and just right for kids out with a nip in the air.
~Red
ps ~ sorry, I know you asked possum, but I just had to add my 2c ~ :-D

Quote:
I just wanted to say thank you for the great idea! I'm gonna try this soon. My husband deer hunts and its hard for me to find a way to eat the meat so this will be a nice recipe to try.

A squash soup with wild rice would stand up well to venison sausage as an ingredient. I make mine with kielbasa (no hunters in my circle, unless you count mushroom & clam hunters).

Quote:
Sorry I couldn't get back to your question sooner. I trapped a raccoon yesterday and the guy I called to come get it showed up to pick it up, and then DH came in from hunting saying he was starving, LOL. Actually, he said he was hungrier than a cut coon, so I assume that's starving.
roll.png

I love Reds suggestion for pumpkin soup. Thanks Red! Also, if you have a slow cooker, you could do chili and take that, or a corn chowder. Make a batch of cornbread or cheese muffins wrapped in a pretty fall cloth napkin in a basket to go with. Maybe take along a few sealed containers with some sliced green onions, grated cheddar cheese and some bacon bits to garnish the chili or soup. Take along a pack of styrofoam cups to serve and some plastic spoons and you are set. For dessert, some spiced pumpkin bars would be perfect, and maybe some fall decorated cupcakes for the kids.

I'm a newbie here and haven't had a chance to look through the many wonderful recipes listed here yet in the recipe index, (first sticky post in the recipe forum, I think), but if you don't already have a good chili, corn chowder, pumpkin soup, pumpkin bar recipe, I'm sure that's the place to look. If you don't find something there, just give me a holler, or I'm sure others have some to share as well.

Oh, ya'll make sure you save those pumpkin seeds for toasting and have fun! Maybe you could post some pics of the carved pumpkins the kids do. I'd love to see them.

Quote:
I just wanted to say thank you for the great idea! I'm gonna try this soon. My husband deer hunts and its hard for me to find a way to eat the meat so this will be a nice recipe to try.

Hi RTRChick,

Do ya'll have your deer processed? Was wondering cause it can make a difference in how you can sub the deer for beef in recipes. We have a guy who processes ours and he's really good. We have the steaks cubed, and we have him grind the burger so it's pretty much like ground sirloin, with just enough beef fat added in for flavor, but it's still lean. He makes the best sausage as well, and we always get ours mild, cause the spicy lives up to it's name, LOL. DH likes it hot, but DD and myself can't handle it. DH just adds hot sauce at the table when he wants extra spice. You have the option of getting your sausage in bulk or in links, I get both, and cook the links in the crockpot with sauerkraut and serve on sub rolls. I use both the bulk sausage and burger for my meatloaf recipe, and I make deer burgers, chili, soups, stews, casseroles, you name it. Most people don't realize it's vension, unless I tell them, but they do ask for the recipes. I have him package everything in 1 lb. packages, and we save money by taking our own plastic bags and freezer paper for wrapping. For stew meat, I use a few backstraps or loins, and cut it myself and wrap it for the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom