Pip after cat attack update

KirstenColorado

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2015
Pip, Squeak and Squawk update since cat attack: All three are outside again, and none seem afraid....except Pip still seems mostly "comatose" but will take a little water when forced, and takes some bites of her regular food about once a day. She was able to poop today; mostly wet, but got some stuff out. Will she ever recover, move around like a normal chicken? It's been three days now. And you can believe how much I reinforced their outside area!!!
She has no interest in any treats--yet--but a local gal said not to worry too much, it can take them a couple of weeks to get back to normal...
Thanks all!

Shock can be so hard on chicks! Glad to hear they are doing mostly well. It's really hard to predict what will happen with Pip, but good that she is able to eat, drink, and poo...keep watching for little signs of improvement!

I don't know when your cat attack was, but cats transmit bacteria via their claws and teeth. This can cause a bird to become septic. How is your chicken acting now? I just read your post 7hrs after you posted.

I don't know when your cat attack was, but cats transmit bacteria via their claws and teeth. This can cause a bird to become septic. How is your chicken acting now? I just read your post 7hrs after you posted.

This is a very important observation. My theory was that Pip may have had contact with the cat, maybe a scratch or puncture of a minor nature. I forgot all about the almost certainty of infection from an altercation with a cat!

One way to tell if Pip is battling an infection is her face color. Fever in a chicken is manifested in bright, cherry-red facial tissue and comb and wattles. Even if she isn't displaying symptoms of fever, I would start her on antibiotics right away and do a full course to be safe.

You might also look her skin over as best you can and see if you see a cherry-red splotch. That would indicate she has an infected wound.

Back
Top Bottom