Pip but no zip? (HELP WANTED!!)

It should be fine, the temp is 99.5 and humidity is around 72%. They both were born with curled toes so maybe that had something to do with it? I don’t have much experience with that though. Maybe something with the parents? I got the eggs from a friend.
I find that most chicks hatched with “curled” toes, that straighten as they dry and try to walk around. I would prepare a brooder, or some place warm and dry for the next one that hatches incase it’s the incubator…

I find that most chicks hatched with “curled” toes, that straighten as they dry and try to walk around. I would prepare a brooder, or some place warm and dry for the next one that hatches incase it’s the incubator…
Oh, I did that for these. I only moved the one that was all dried out though. It was warm in the brooder but was moving it the wrong choice? I am wondering if it might have gotten lonely alone and maybe I should have left them together. But considering both the one in the brooder and incubator died, maybe it would have happened anyway.

when should you move a chick from the incubator into the brooder? I have heard you should wait 24 hours or until it’s dry, but should you move them sooner?
I usually move mine right away, but i know most people probably keep them in there until most of the hatching is done. my initial brooder is a tiny 2.5 gallon fish tank over a heating pad, the bottom is lined with a paper towel - very warm and dry.

I believe the reason the chicks are usually kept in the incubator for longer is due to fears of humidity dropping. my humidity has always skyrocketed after each hatch so I never had issues… I would say to tailor your approach to your setup and climate

The chick I assisted wasn’t able to hatch on its own so I had to assist more, and it’s out now. It’s looking weak so I’m not too hopeful. Is there anything else I can do? I’m leaving it in the brooder currently because it seems too weak to move, but it’s chirping and trying to move around.

The chick I assisted wasn’t able to hatch on its own so I had to assist more, and it’s out now. It’s looking weak so I’m not too hopeful. Is there anything else I can do? I’m leaving it in the brooder currently because it seems too weak to move, but it’s chirping and trying to move around.
I keep my weak chicks warm and in a completely dark place until they’ve rested enough. The darkness helps them calm down and sleep. If it's a single chick, I usually try to put something fluffy and small in there, like a rolled up pair of fuzzy sock. fingers cross for the little one :fl

Back
Top Bottom