Pip but no zip? (HELP WANTED!!)

Apr 7, 2021
So this is my second time ever hatching eggs. All are Silkie eggs, and I have 2 that have been pipped for 24 hours, give or take as they pipped while I was sleeping. They have not made any more progress, and I’m starting to get a little worried. One was pipped towards the floor so I flipped it over quickly, and I can see the beak moving around occasionally. The second egg I can see moving/shaking occasionally but I haven’t seen a beak. I’ve heard occasional chirping but nothing for the past hour or so. I have also heard that sometimes silkies can take longer than other chickens to hatch, is this true? Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

So this is my second time ever hatching eggs. All are Silkie eggs, and I have 2 that have been pipped for 24 hours, give or take as they pipped while I was sleeping. They have not made any more progress, and I’m starting to get a little worried. One was pipped towards the floor so I flipped it over quickly, and I can see the beak moving around occasionally. The second egg I can see moving/shaking occasionally but I haven’t seen a beak. I’ve heard occasional chirping but nothing for the past hour or so. I have also heard that sometimes silkies can take longer than other chickens to hatch, is this true? Any help/suggestions are appreciated!
I know this is controversial but I wound step in and help the chick a bit, just my removing a bit of shell around the piers area and only the shell because I don’t want to hurt any of the membrane in case there is still blood vessel in that😊 if the membrane is completely dry and brown it’s shrink wrapped and the chick will die if you don’t help it, move slowly and you could take a q tip with warm water and rehydrate the membrane if your not comfortable removing it😊
I have heard that some chicks can be pipped for over 24 hours so watch it closely and interfere if you can see it struggle or if you still se no more progress

How should I know when to help? I’ve heard so many horror stories of people helping chicks who are not ready for it
Me too, I once helped a chick(this one was after it zipped) but I started removing the shell and not the membrane because you can’t really hurt the chick if you just remove the shell.
So I would start there and remove a little bit to see if the chick is still alive,well and trying to get out. Just chip a bit around the hole and don’t touch the membrane if you can see clear veins or are have a feeling she isn’t ready to come out
I would also do some research on how you can help a chick out of the egg as there are some really good articles on the internet😊
Most important is to follow your intuition, you probably know better than me how the chick is and if you feel like it needs some help to get out in the world😊

If you choose to help, PLEASE do so very carefully. If the chick is clearly in a struggle and showing signs of getting weaker and weaker, then do just enough to help it be able to hatch on its own. You’ve been given good advice so far. I recommend looking into the many valuable articles posted here on BYC. Do only a little…. a few chips to start. Moisten the membrane (I use non-pain relief antibiotic like neosporin) that you expose, and place back into the incubator asap. You have to avoid ALL blood vessels.

I actually assisted a chick yesterday, but I’m not new to assisted hatching. In my situation, the chick had pipped (at the small end) well beyond 24 hours and was showing signs of giving up. The chick began to get very weak was barely peeping any more. I made the choice to intervene. After very carefully going through the steps of chipping, moistening, waiting and seeing (I did not rush any of this), I discovered that this particular chick did not have a chance of hatching on its own. It’s feet and head were wedged into that tiny end of the egg, and she couldn’t make any movement except to peck a tiny hole. I’m glad that I assisted, because she’s a very happy teeny one and under her mommy hen being totally doted over!

I wish you the best with your chick ❤️

If you choose to help, PLEASE do so very carefully. If the chick is clearly in a struggle and showing signs of getting weaker and weaker, then do just enough to help it be able to hatch on its own. You’ve been given good advice so far. I recommend looking into the many valuable articles posted here on BYC. Do only a little…. a few chips to start. Moisten the membrane (I use non-pain relief antibiotic like neosporin) that you expose, and place back into the incubator asap. You have to avoid ALL blood vessels.

I actually assisted a chick yesterday, but I’m not new to assisted hatching. In my situation, the chick had pipped (at the small end) well beyond 24 hours and was showing signs of giving up. The chick began to get very weak was barely peeping any more. I made the choice to intervene. After very carefully going through the steps of chipping, moistening, waiting and seeing (I did not rush any of this), I discovered that this particular chick did not have a chance of hatching on its own. It’s feet and head were wedged into that tiny end of the egg, and she couldn’t make any movement except to peck a tiny hole. I’m glad that I assisted, because she’s a very happy teeny one and under her mommy hen being totally doted over!

I wish you the best with your chick ❤️
Thank you! I might wait a couple hours and see how it goes before I try to help. I don’t want to make things worse

Thank you! I might wait a couple hours and see how it goes before I try to help. I don’t want to make things worse
Using patience is the best thing you can do right now. As long as the chick has pipped and breathing outside air, then you have time. Pay close attention. If the peeps begin to get weaker and farther in between, that’s when I would make my choice to assist. Hatching time varies. If you believe the chick’s giving up, then go with your instincts. Just be super careful to peel away membrane. If you see any bleeding, take a paper towel and press until it stops. Apply the neosporin and place back into the incubator. Make sure the humidity stays acceptable. I can only advise you using my own experience. Please read all you can on assisted hatching. It’ll be valuable for any future problem hatches. Keep us updated. 🙏❤️🤞

Using patience is the best thing you can do right now. As long as the chick has pipped and breathing outside air, then you have time. Pay close attention. If the peeps begin to get weaker and farther in between, that’s when I would make my choice to assist. Hatching time varies. If you believe the chick’s giving up, then go with your instincts. Just be super careful to peel away membrane. If you see any bleeding, take a paper towel and press until it stops. Apply the neosporin and place back into the incubator. Make sure the humidity stays acceptable. I can only advise you using my own experience. Please read all you can on assisted hatching. It’ll be valuable for any future problem hatches. Keep us updated. 🙏❤️🤞
Thank you so much!! I will keep you updated!

I guess I don’t have to worry much anymore! I came home and one of the eggs I was worried about hatched!
IMG_3733.jpeg

The other chick I was worried about still hasn’t hatched, j chipped away a little more of the shell and put neosporin on the membrane. It’s still cheeping and moving it’s beak so I think that’s all I should do for now?
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom