Pip through candle wax?

P-01

Chirping
Jul 8, 2020
As I was candling, I saw what I thought to be a hairline fracture on 2 eggs (only noticed it through candling). I might of been able to get away with leaving it since there was no visible crack to the naked eye and I couldn't even feel it, but to be safe, I applied some candle wax. However, being this is my first time hatching, I might of put on too much. (actually, I'm pretty sure I did).

Everything has been developing fine and looking good since then, but I'm concerned about when it's time to hatch. Being that there's a large "gunk" around the blunt end of the egg where the air sec is (the other egg I applied wax to has a large gunk wax on the side), will the chick have a hard time pipping/hatching? Has anyone ever tried to completely remove the wax?

I put about a blueberry size of wax on a dent in one of my hatching eggs. The dent was over the air cell. Thankfully it pipped JUST to the side of the wax. Do you have pictures? Maybe I could assess if it'll be too think for the baby to break through.

That is a lot of wax. It is probably decreasing the amount of oxygen the baby is getting. There isn't much that can be done at this point, some of the pores probably already have wax in them. Maybe just try to chip away some of the wax right before they are due to hatch. Or completely remove it with sand paper before lockdown.

Never thought of nail polish! What type? Clear? How much do you use?
I use the Piggy paint brand, as it's the most natural I can find amd Wal-Mart carries it. I use whatever color we have. I used mint last time. Pretty thin, and just over the crack. I used it on some shipped bobwhite eggs last year that were damaged in the post.
IMG_20191130_152408_01.jpg
IMG_20191130_152500_01.jpg
IMG_20200709_105325_01.jpg

I put about a blueberry size of wax on a dent in one of my hatching eggs. The dent was over the air cell. Thankfully it pipped JUST to the side of the wax. Do you have pictures? Maybe I could assess if it'll be too think for the baby to break through.

Thanks for your help! I attached a photo of one of the 2 eggs. As you can see, I went a little overboard. I was thinking maybe using a warm butter knife to gently scrape off as my as I can?

Attachments

• IMG_4379.jpg
    IMG_4379.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 9
What day did you patch it on (what day was the egg on), and what day is it on now?

I believe I patched it on Day 5. I'm currently on Day 13. As of last candling (Day 10), everything looked fine, and saw lively movement inside.

I really like using nail polish to patch cracks. It is easier to apply and I've had better hatch rates on damaged eggs with it. None of my patched with was eggs ever hatched. Not sure why. Be prepared that it might not make it. That is a lot of wax.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely give it a shot. Hopefully there's still a chance.

Back
Top Bottom