Pip through candle wax?

UPDATE - I was able to scrape away most of the mess I made using a small, dull knife (quickly and gently). Fingers crossed..

IMG_4383.jpg

I have a egg patched with beeswax going right now, so far so good. Cracked it on day 1.
I'm so curious now what's best. Wax seems like it would provide more structural support for a bad crack, and less chance of toxins leeching into the embryo, but nail polish is an amazing suggestion, easy to control, still adds a bit of strength, and the chick would be able to pip through it.
One of the guides linked in the sticky suggests glue. I wonder if that would allow any air exchange?
Haha I was to do an experiment but I'm not gonna crack any eggs just to test.

I have a egg patched with beeswax going right now, so far so good. Cracked it on day 1.
I'm so curious now what's best. Wax seems like it would provide more structural support for a bad crack, and less chance of toxins leeching into the embryo, but nail polish is an amazing suggestion, easy to control, still adds a bit of strength, and the chick would be able to pip through it.
One of the guides linked in the sticky suggests glue. I wonder if that would allow any air exchange?
Haha I was to do an experiment but I'm not gonna crack any eggs just to test.
Beeswax, that's an interesting idea. I don't like the thought of the harsher nail polishes. The one I have is pretty natural though. I really dislike wax, it is hot, burns and sticks to my fingers, and is very hard to get on the actual crack. Plus, super messy. I don't know about glue. I did try leaving a couple cracked eggs though, just dents and hairline cracks, unpatched. All three died. So I think patching is important.

Back
Top Bottom