Pipd's Peeps!

You just never know. People can be heartless when it comes to animals. But, then there are others like you that would take in a stray and work hard to find the owner. Its lucky to have found you. 😊

Very true, sadly. I'm glad he found his way to me if it really is the case. He'll definitely be pampered and adored all his life here. :love

Two days later on the soap, and we're starting to get a swirl!! :wee I can't wait to get it out of the mold and see what the bottom looks like!

1635962349860.png

(Really wishing now that I had swooped the top or something, since it looks so messy, but oh, well, it was mostly a practice batch anyway :p )

Here they are out of the mold! :wee Pretty sure the one on the right is the one I poured first, which is why it's less swirly, but look at the swirling on the left loaf! I love it!! 🤩

1636052494149.png

In the cool of the night, Maggie separated herself from the flock and gently passed away on her own on the floor in the corner of the coop. She'd not been herself for a few days now, similarly to how her sister Mako behaved before the incident that ended her life, so I knew it was coming. She was such a quiet bird, very low-key and never a people chicken as many of my birds are. At 10-and-a-half years old, she certainly lived a long, full life. She lives on, I suppose, in her daughter Ganymede, a similarly low-key hen.

Maggie.jpg

Many of the other birds noticed before I had and the flock went into a chorus of cackling while looking at her where she lay, as if to try to wake her. 💔 What sensitive creatures they can be sometimes. She must have meant a great deal to the flock.

She did, a long, long life of being spoiled (at a distance, of course), foraging through the woods, and teaching young'uns their place in the flock every year. She was always smaller than the other Easter-eggers, but scrappy for sure. I see a lot of her attitude in Ganymede, a bit more so because Ganymede is less human shy than Maggie was.

Any pictures of your Maizie? I'm guessing she's who your username is referring to? :p

Oh and yeah. So when I first got her she did a lot of crazy things. One she had a wound on her chest that I think came from the original owners dog because she said the dog was "playing with the chickens" 😳
She tried to escape from her separate area and poked her head through a tarp one evening getting to the top.
One day I went out and the coop was frozen over. I had been placing her and her ee sister in the coop at night and back into their separate areas. Well since it froze, I couldn't open the side door to get them and out them back into their integration area. So, I rearranged the run quickly - and hoped for the best. It worked out.
They would also sit on the top of the fence probably to get away during integration. 😊
She used to run from me screaming. But, then would talk to me once I picked her up. Now she submits and even comes over to me to pick her up.
Currently, she is molting so she doesn't want to be held at all and is one of the first to go to roost. But, I will throw a hand full of scratch at night - she jumps down quickly as soon as she hears the treats being distributed.
Sorry I wrote too long and if there are errors I'm currently at work and typing quickly. 😂
Edited most of the errors out now that I'm home. 😁

Last edited:

Aww, look at her! :love She looks like my Merlin if she were to clean shave her beard. 🤣 Merl essentially looks like Maggie did except with a lighter-colored head. It's amazing to me how very distinct and yet somehow so similar Easter-eggers can be!

Oh and yeah. So when I first got her she did a lot of crazy things. One she had a wound on her chest that I think came from the original owners dog because she said the dog was "playing with the chickens" 😳
She tried to escape from her separate area and poked her head through a tarp one evening getting to the top.
One day I went out and the coop was frozen over. I had been placing her and her ee sister in the coop at night and back into their separate areas. Well since it froze, I couldn't open the side door to get them and out them back into their integration area. So, I rearranged the run quickly - and hoped for the best. It worked out.
They would also sit on the top of the fence probably to get away during integration. 😊
She used to run from me screaming. But, then would talk to me once I picked her up. Now she submits and even comes over to me to pick her up.
Currently, she is molting so she doesn't want to be held at all and is one of the first to go to roost. But, I will throw a hand full of scratch at night - she jumps down quickly as soon as she hears the treats being distributed.
Sorry I wrote too long and if there are errors I'm currently at work and typing quickly. 😂
Edited most of the errors out now that I'm home. 😁

Ahaha, you're fine! I love it! Sounds like she is a bit crazy, but some of the best birds are. 🤣 Glad you got her away from the dog 'playing' with her. Yikes! :th

Back
Top Bottom