Pipd's Peeps!

Here we are! Pictures! :D First, the girls, who were perfect angels (mostly :rolleyes: ) for their pictures. My OEGB girls at about 4 months old:

Altair.jpg
Vega.jpg

Vega was standing weird, so no, her tail isn't oddly short compared to Altair's. :p

The EE girls at about 3 months old:

Mona.jpg
Ophelia.jpg
Ganymede.jpg

Yes, at this point, I'm assuming Ganymede is a girl. She has no masculine traits so far, anyway. Here's a close up of her comb, with no real change since last time:

Ganymede comb.jpg

I keep looking at those neck feathers and second guessing myself, but she has no pointed saddle feathers coming in and her overall color is feminine. So, at least for now, she's a she. :lol:

Now, the boys. BOY, were they difficult! I mean, Charon and Puck are always difficult, and Titan can try my nerves sometimes, but even the OEGB boys gave me trouble! :barnie I guess I could take that as a good sign that they're keeping a respectful distance, though, huh?

Anyway, here are the 4-month-old OEGB boys:

Achernar.jpg

Rigel.jpg
Toliman.jpg

And here are the 3-month-old EE boys. Puck and Charon were hiding, but Titan and Oberon didn't give me too much trouble.

Charon.jpg
Puck.jpg
Titan.jpg
Oberon.jpg

Look at that stud!! :love :drool He knows he's handsome, too!

"Who, me?" :p

Oberon bein cute.jpg

Anyway, here are just a few more pictures of the girls. :love I did some close-up face shots of all the girls because they were very cooperative, so here they are.

Little miss perfect, here :love Look at that face!

Altair face.jpg

Okay, most of them were cooperative :lol:

Vega face.jpg

Mona always looks like she's frowning disapprovingly. :rolleyes:

Mona face.jpg

This beard still kills me!! :love

Ophelia face.jpg

I love Gany's eyes :love

Ganymede face.jpg

And one more cute picture. Look at these two darlings!! (Altair is still in the green band and Vega in the red, in case anyone forgot after all this time :p )

Altair and Vega.jpg

And I think that's it. :) I hope they were worth the wait!

They all got so beautiful! I especially love Archernar he is gorgeous. And the last pic of Vega and Altair is so cute. Glad to hear the weather hasn't been too bad. I am lucky to not have had much rain this summer in northern NY (where I'm living for the summer), but last week's heat was brutal.

Absolutely LOVE the photos - gorgeous birds :love:love:love:love

The girls say thanks! :D

They all got so beautiful! I especially love Archernar he is gorgeous. And the last pic of Vega and Altair is so cute. Glad to hear the weather hasn't been too bad. I am lucky to not have had much rain this summer in northern NY (where I'm living for the summer), but last week's heat was brutal.

Haha, Acher is a handsome little guy. :love Of course, I might be biased between him and Toli because I happen to know first hand how big of a butthead Toli is. :gig

Oh, I've heard northern NY is beautiful! I've been there once but only when I was like 6 years old, so I have no memory of it. :p I hope you're having fun!

Thank you!
happy birthday.gif

Also, I forgot to get back to you, but I did talk to the folks at Honeyville! They were amazingly helpful and even called all the feed mills they could think of in their area to see if they had any formulas like what I was looking for. :) Unfortunately, they didn't have what I needed, but I think I'm covered because it would appear that Nutrena is going to sell their all flock feed at the same price as before with the Rural King generic Country Road label. :fl

Since I didn't post about that here, a bit of context for the rest of y'all. I've been on a feed hunt for a couple weeks now because Nutrena stopped making the 50lb bags of all flock feed that I've used for years, only to repackage it in a 40lb bag 'specialty feed' and hike the price. :barnie

Okay, in the interest of keeping this board updated on things, I did kind of finish a project of sorts today, albeit a small one. :D The girls have always used 2-gallon buckets for water year round, but with the teeny-tiny OEGBs out there now, the buckets don't really work this time of year. The girls drink a lot more in the heat and the water level quickly gets past what the tiny bantams can reach. So, I got out the pig waterer I had gotten for the brooder (and then replaced with actual chick waterers so I didn't need it anymore) and hung it up in the coop. Works like a charm! I just picked up a couple more today and hung them up as well. Voila, easily accessible water for everyone!

Echo and new waterer.jpg

...Well, mostly easily accessible. :p (Don't worry, one of them is hung lower for them to reach, but Altair was being contrary, I guess. :rolleyes: )

Altair drinking.jpg

I also couldn't help myself with this beard and had to take another picture of Fifi. What a charmer! :love

Ophelia cutie.jpg

Mona is... not so graceful with her close-ups. :p

Mona close up.jpg

And then there's grumpy-butt Ganymede, who is such a biter!! :tongue

Ganymede grumpy.jpg

...So she gets hugs to help cure the grumps. :p

Gany grumpy hugs.jpg

Anyway, it's coop closing time now, so I've got to run! :frow

The girls say thanks! :D

Haha, Acher is a handsome little guy. :love Of course, I might be biased between him and Toli because I happen to know first hand how big of a butthead Toli is. :gig

Oh, I've heard northern NY is beautiful! I've been there once but only when I was like 6 years old, so I have no memory of it. :p I hope you're having fun!

View attachment 1857775

...Well, mostly easily accessible. :p (Don't worry, one of them is hung lower for them to reach, but Altair was being contrary, I guess. :rolleyes: )
Yes Northern NY is very beautiful, but where I'm staying is a bit too in the middle of nowhere for my tastes. I'm about a 15 minute drive from Canada. I'm up here for a dairy farm internship. Good news is I get to go home in about 2 weeks. I have had an amazing time, but I'm ready to go home (and back to school :hmm). Also love that neck stretch from Altair. :p Ganymede bites?

Oh, cool! That does sound amazing!! But I definitely understand being ready to go home, even if it does mean back to school. :p

Yep, she's a biter! She doesn't like when people touch her and bites every time someone does. :hmm The brat! She gets lots of cuddles because I don't know how else to get her to stop. :lol:

Short update, since I've been slacking on it again. :oops:

My Wheaten Marans, Reinette, is inside in a hospital pen for, well, I don't know what. She's had messy droppings for a few days and is pale, lethargic, and kind of woozy. I thought she was crop bound, so I began treating her for that, but she cleared up almost immediately.

Then I discovered fly strike below her vent yesterday, the second time that any of my birds had ever had it and the first time in a long time. Fly strike is so, so unpleasant to deal with. :sick

Anyway, after treatment, she seems to be out of the woods on that, but is still not acting right. I'd hoped that the fly strike was causing the symptoms, but it would seem that the symptoms caused the fly strike. Not sure what else to do except supportive care at this point. :( Wish me luck!

Not much else is going on, if that excuses me for not posting again. :oops: I'm hoping to start working on some projects somewhat soon, so I may have more to post about then.

Definitely one of the worst ailments I've ever had to deal with with these birds. I had hoped after the last time that it wouldn't happen again. That was a few years ago and I've kept up with trimming away messy vent feathers pretty well since then, but it came on so fast with her that I don't know if I could have prevented it.

On the positive side, she stood up and preened for a bit this evening! First time since she was brought in that she was even that active! :fl

I did a thorough butt check on the whole flock tonight at roost time and trimmed some feathers again. I had done a glance over yesterday and no one seemed too bad off, but I figured I would trim anyway. Then I got busy last night and postponed to tonight. By tonight, Cazzie had done something horrible to her vent feathers. :sick So I had to get in there with a gloved hand and clean her up big time! No fly strike underneath, thank goodness, but I'm going to check her over tomorrow in the daylight to make sure I cleaned her up well!

Funny thing, all of my white or light colored birds (besides Reinette, of course) had absolutely pristine vent feathers. Guess they felt pressured to keep clean because of how visible their messes would be? :gig

Good news this morning! Reinette has a lot more color to her comb. She's shying away from my hands like usual (she's not a people chicken like some others). She was facing away from her food and water, so I had to reach in and rotate her. Once she was oriented the right way again, she actually started eating! She's preening and even muttering to herself about the service in this joint! :p Trying not to get my hopes to high, but she sure seems to have turned a corner all of the sudden! :fl

Back
Top Bottom